+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 51 Seconds to 500 Microns

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I worded it that way as a joke. I got a laugh out of it. I know what you wrote.
    hahahahah...I don't get the joke.

Post Likes
    What is an SMAN?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    You mis quoted me AGAIN...I said to rely on the SMAN as your primary micron meter is ludicrous.

The SMAN micron meter has great value if you have time to kill and pull a vac thru it. Both my Testo and SMAN have vacuum rated hoses.

You used Sman, Micron meter and ludicrous in the same sentence!!

Thats funny! You did not specify Primary the first time.. And hey what is the big deal with using the SMAN micron gauge? Thats one of the things you liked about it I thought..

Lighten up will ya
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    You used Sman, Micron meter and ludicrous in the same sentence!!

Thats funny! You did not specify Primary the first time.. And hey what is the big deal with using the SMAN micron gauge? Thats one of the things you liked about it I thought..

Lighten up will ya
    My chain ain't THAT long

Post Likes
    Is it worth the extra bulk and stiffness to go with the 1/2" hoses over the 3/8" hoses??? 3/8 is a huge improvement over 1/4". Not sure if 1/2 would be enough advantage over the 3/8" to justify the added bulk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Is it worth the extra bulk and stiffness to go with the 1/2" hoses over the 3/8" hoses??? 3/8 is a huge improvement over 1/4". Not sure if 1/2 would be enough advantage over the 3/8" to justify the added bulk.

Depends on what size equipment you are working on.

Post Likes
    Mostly 5 to 15 ton. And I use a 6 CFM pump.
    Last edited by 270wsm; 01-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Post Likes
    Mostly 5 to 15 ton. And I use a 6 CFM pump.
    1/2" For sure they are much faster than 3/8" I only use my 3/8" hoses for recovery.

Post Likes
    Ok so I'll go with the 1/2 inch hoses. Are 6' lenghts optimum, would going with shorter be better? Also, which 1/4 ends do you recommend, the straight or 45°?

Post Likes
    Standard 6' with straight fittings is what I use. It is a nice length that is easy to work with.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I noticed my 3/8 brass tee doesn't really have a full 3/8 bore. Barely over 1/4 I.d. Are they all like that??

Post Likes
    i am using 8 CFM vacumm pump & trying of vacummizing my 8.5 Tr unit having internal volume of around 1.8 cu.ft

Ideally what should be the vacummizing time?? it is taking so long (around 7-8 hrs) to achieve 400 microns even.

Post Likes
    I noticed my 3/8 brass tee doesn't really have a full 3/8 bore. Barely over 1/4 I.d. Are they all like that??
    Yes most are like that, however, it is the hoses that make the difference much more then the fittings. The hose creates a lot of friction that slows the evacuation. Flow is much different in a vacuum then in pressurized applications.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    With the right hoses and the right process, i would guess less than 1 hour for sure. If the refrigerant is still out-gassing from the oil, it may take a bit longer, but not much longer than that,
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Is this really necessary though? I just put my regular gages and pump on every system I do and then do some other aspect of the install and come back to my pump and gage later, and it is always ready for me at below 500 microns and I have no wasted time of additional initial setup or the added expense the having to buy this kit.Anyone?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortService View Post
    Is this really necessary though? I just put my regular gages and pump on every system I do and then do some other aspect of the install and come back to my pump and gage later, and it is always ready for me at below 500 microns and I have no wasted time of additional initial setup or the added expense the having to buy this kit.Anyone?
    On a new residential split system install, where you are just evacuating a linset and coil, it is usually massive overkill, especially with new copper lines.
    On repairs, where you have to evacuate the whole system, the time savings are very significant. A good evacuation setup can cut the time down to less than 1/3 the time it would take using your normal service manifold and hoses.
    On a large commercial system, you can save hours with a good evacuation setup.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    On a new residential split system install, where you are just evacuating a linset and coil, it is usually massive overkill, especially with new copper lines.
    On repairs, where you have to evacuate the whole system, the time savings are very significant. A good evacuation setup can cut the time down to less than 1/3 the time it would take using your normal service manifold and hoses.
    On a large commercial system, you can save hours with a good evacuation setup.
    I was thinking along these lines.

If all that you do is new installation, then you could get away with just using a manifold by scheduling your work so that the pump has the maximum time to run. It isn't really the correct way to do it, but it would suffice.

As Mark mentioned, though, there is more to the world than installing residential equipment. Sometimes, you're running a service call, replacing a compressor or even working on a larger system.

I've switched to using 3/8" diameter hoses for pulling vacuum and, sometimes, I still work that old rhythm of install pump, fire it up, do the wiring, clean up my tools, set up the micron gauge, etc... It doesn't take that long, but when you're pulling a vacuum on freezer with a 2 5/8" suction line that's a couple hundred feet long, every bit of volume counts.

Post Likes
    hey Pascone10 did you ever find these hoses like you wanted? If so where and by whom? I am looking to buy some and they are right what i am looking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ackid View Post
    hey Pascone10 did you ever find these hoses like you wanted? If so where and by whom? I am looking to buy some and they are right what i am looking.
    www dot trutechtools dot com should have what you need, along with any hvac supply house or other online retailers. The appion hoses are good.

Post Likes
    Just a quick question on the ending part of the video where Jim cracked the service valve to break the vacuum. If it is a dry unit and you're charging it from a tank, should you just connect the hose from your gauge set to the CRT, purge it, crack the CRT valve to break vacuum, remove the vacuum gauge, and just continue charging? Just want to make sure if this procedure is correct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in