Its hard to un-stop a Trane
10 yrs....no service. Full hour of spraying until the mud quit flowing:
I thought I might share what they told us at the Intellipak school in LaCrosse a few months about cleaning cottonwood and other heavy particulates off of those brush coils. One of he instructors said to take a propane torch to the heavy stuff and you can burn it off. We don't have. Lot of cottonwood trees around here so I haven't had a chance to try it.
That seems counterproductive as you will see how quick aluminum melts!!!
Originally Posted by ryan1088
Psalm 51:10, 12
There's a vid on youtube of someone using this method with a torch and it worked pretty good. Just keep that torch moving
Originally Posted by ldmth44
A good wire brush then hit it with the air compressor works every time.
Spine Fin Tube speaking.
Believe it or not I've tried that and it works....
Originally Posted by ryan1088
Not with cotton wood. A local Hotel has ( had ) their American Standard condensing units under their industrial dryer vents.
9 units of varying tonnage and the worst thing you could do was hit it with water.
They were white, like someone wrapped them with a T-Shirt
White linen COMPLETELY embedded and causing every one of the units to bypass at 380 psi plus.
I thought after trying everything " hey, cotton dryer linen is flammable ".
Wen't back the next day with a helper who stood fire watch with a water hose, stripped them down like the pic in the OP and took my MAP gas torch and hit the bottom of the coil.
Good thing he had the hose.
Extremely dry linen sediment goes up like a match but doesn't produce the heat necessary to melt aluminum.
Maybe start from the top next time
Originally Posted by -80guru
Somebody stole the fan motor and covers off that unit. Sad......
The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....
¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>
`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>
LOL. I admit it, it was me.
Originally Posted by Cooked
I've used my torch as well but only for extreme amounts of dog hair clogging the system. Worked fine with no issues. Not an every time practice...
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
I use a propane torch all the time to burn cottonwood seed, grass clippings, drier lint, etc., off spine fin condenser coils.
It does absolutely no harm to the coil, and makes cleaning a breeze.
BTW, the coil pictured isn't even that "bad", certainly not for 10 years of no maintenance.
"Bad" is when the layer is so thick that it is not visually identifiable as a condenser coil.
That looks like the average 1 year accumulation we get around here!
2 minutes with a propane torch, and 10 minutes with a Water Saber and I'd have it looking nearly as clean as new, without removing the side panels.
If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.