Thumbs up I bought a Fieldpeice SC56

As part of my mission to lighten my service bag load down from the 35 pounds it had gotten up to, I decided to pick up the SC56 to replace the Fluke 337 and 116 I normally carry.

It has only been a few days, but so far I am very impressed by the SC56.
    It does everything the other 2 meters do, plus has the duty cycle function I've been missing for testing the PWM output of some controls.
    It also has higher resolution on the amps function than the Fluke 337, so I can finally accurately test the microfarad rating of fan motor run capacitors under load.

The twist head function is surprisingly handy, especially when testing amps and voltages at the same time.
    Even when just using it as a multimeter, I can clamp the jaws around something, twist the meter body around so the display is facing me, and take my readings.
    The best part is that the ohms function actually has the ranges needed for troubleshooting motors, crankcase heaters, etc., stuff the ohm function of clamp meters is typically useless for.

The SC56 also has a very solid feel to it, and the dial has no slop to it, and very positively clicks into each position.

My one and only "gripe" about it is that the calibration of the temperature function is off by a couple of degrees. I'm not to worried about it though, as I'm not planning to use the function anyway.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    As part of my mission to lighten my service bag load down from the 35 pounds it had gotten up to, I decided to pick up the SC56 to replace the Fluke 337 and 116 I normally carry.

It has only been a few days, but so far I am very impressed by the SC56.
    It does everything the other 2 meters do, plus has the duty cycle function I've been missing for testing the PWM output of some controls.
    It also has higher resolution on the amps function than the Fluke 337, so I can finally accurately test the microfarad rating of fan motor run capacitors under load.

The twist head function is surprisingly handy, especially when testing amps and voltages at the same time.
    Even when just using it as a multimeter, I can clamp the jaws around something, twist the meter body around so the display is facing me, and take my readings.
    The best part is that the ohms function actually has the ranges needed for troubleshooting motors, crankcase heaters, etc., stuff the ohm function of clamp meters is typically useless for.

The SC56 also has a very solid feel to it, and the dial has no slop to it, and very positively clicks into each position.

My one and only "gripe" about it is that the calibration of the temperature function is off by a couple of degrees. I'm not to worried about it though, as I'm not planning to use the function anyway.
    Mark I'm glad the sc56 is working out well for you! Just so you know, the calibration pot for the temperature is just behind the battery cover. It should be real easy to access and calibrate.

yeah, i LOVE mine too. thinkin of getting another one for a backup.

You'd be surprised how much you might use the thermo. setting. and yeah, just calibrate it to whatever Ktype you're using. i hang mine on cond.'s to get outdoor ambient while charging......also for quick cond. TD checks.

also thinkin of just getting the amp head to hang in air handlers to check amp draw with the panels in place.....since you can connect any of the heads to the silicon leads too.

Just bought another one on Friday. The first was flawless untill it came out of the tool bag while going through a roof hatch. Sent it off for repairs so will have two of them soon.Knew I should have bought a back up when J-stones had them like $50 off last month.

Well, troubleshooting a controls problem with a Trane 40 ton 4 stage split system, run by an old Honeywell logic panel, today kind of dampened my enthusiasm about the SC56.

I didn't notice when I picked it up, basically as an impulse buy, but it has no min/max function.
    The volt function is also useless for diagnosing small voltage drops through relay and contactor contacts, or breakers and fuses.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yep I was looking for mine a while after I bought it too. Then realized it didn't have one. I does have a ton of features though... I don't use the min/max function on a meter very much, so I still have it in the Veto.

Well, troubleshooting a controls problem with a Trane 40 ton 4 stage split system, run by an old Honeywell logic panel, today kind of dampened my enthusiasm about the SC56.

I didn't notice when I picked it up, basically as an impulse buy, but it has no min/max function.
    The volt function is also useless for diagnosing small voltage drops through relay and contactor contacts, or breakers and fuses.

You need an HS 36 then.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

It has no min/max, true, but it'll measure voltage drops down to 0.1 millivolt. For the few times you need min/max, a backup meter with min/max would cover it. Can't say that I use min/max much even though virtually every other meter I own has it. For controls work an hvac clamp meter of any brand wouldn't be my first choice.