Why are contractors against Goodman - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by seana
    They use the same brand but I would be willing to bet they dont use the same QC score parts as other companies. They are cheaply made and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one unless you like to gamble.

I do like to gamble!!!!!

Originally posted by seana
    They use the same brand but I would be willing to bet they dont use the same QC score parts as other companies. They are cheaply made and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one unless you like to gamble.
    Not only are you wrong, but Copeland claims that there is a less percentage of compressors returned to them by Goodman then by any other company.

It is just stupid to think that a company would make lesser quality components with the exact same model numbers for a particular manufacturer that just happens to buy the most of that vendors product. That's just dumb!

Techs working on Carrier and York units love buying Bristol replacement compressors from Goodman distributors because they can get the exact same replacement compressor model for a lot less.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Its not the brand. Its the installation and the design. With a good duct system a 3 ton goodman will work the same as a 3 ton builder grade trane or carrier. When you get into features and benefits like variable speed, 2 speed condensors and humidity control-that will make your home comfortable. The side benefit to the higher grade units are the extra safety features that will protect the condensor like high pressure safeties when a txv screws up.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Originally posted by sun57
    I am replacing my central air conditioner. One company has given me an estimate on a Goodman CSC14 14 SEER unit. The other companies I have talked to are very much against the Goodman air conditioner. They are implying that it is a builders model quality. Although Goodman may make builders models, I can't imagine that all of their models are builders quality. The other companies also say it is hard to get parts for Goodman. The other companies are all recommeding Trane XL14i. Is this really a better unit than the Goodman, or are they just recommeding it because that's what they have in stock?

This is Turtle.

i will say this , i was in the residentiual hvac business when Trane did not make any residentiual equipment at all and bought everything from Carrier and sold it with their name on it.

then with this said, i will say tring to say goodman or trane is better is like saying Ford is better than Chevy or vise versa.

It is who installs it that makes the difference.

TURTLE

What I was getting at is that discounted Goodman prices are easy to get on the internet, and pretty much nothing else I looked at was. I never found anything consistent in pricing for York, Carrier, or Bryant, but I was sure the Climatouch was trade only too, and UPS dropped mine off today, so maybe its lurking out there one layer deeper than I was going.

Originally posted by danglerb
    What I was getting at is that discounted Goodman prices are easy to get on the internet, and pretty much nothing else I looked at was. I never found anything consistent in pricing for York, Carrier, or Bryant, but I was sure the Climatouch was trade only too, and UPS dropped mine off today, so maybe its lurking out there one layer deeper than I was going.

The prices you think you are finding still aren't the same as what us contractors get.

Internet sales of HVAC equipment is only good for those who are doing the selling. Unsuspecting HOs and DIYers think they are getting wholesale pricing when in reality what is missing in the price is the cost of a reputable HVAC contractor doing business so they can be there for the HO when things go wrong with their system.

Buying HVAC equipment direct is penny wise and dollar foolish for many reasons.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I have to laugh at so many that bash the Goodman name. The funny part is you can look at all the vans here with advertizing of all the brands...... York, Lennox, Heil, carrier and many others, want to know what the boxes in the driveway say on them ???? Yep you guessed it .... Goodman.

So tell me why do you think their putting it in. Are you saying there are being its something that breaks down all the time ? they want it being they cant get parts ? They figure its poor quality and are trying to prove it to their customers ??? They want to lose business and piss off their customers ???

Nope , I dont think so....... I think their smart business men and by the way some of these companies are national companies so if you think that only hacks put in Goodman, you better wise up because just because you think your a big shot in your own mind, that you are smarter then everyone else ....... you better look in the mirror and realize , things change and brands change. They all take their turns being good and bad and the brand your selling now might be the next one everyone is calling JUNK.

Bashing brands tell what kind of businessman you are. Its just a fact and if you dont believe it just watch the other posts of the people that do it in this site..........kinda tells the whole story. Yep that guys a real professional LOL NOT

It's funny because it seems every good thing said about Goodman is from people who install them. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose. I personally do not like Goodman and I have seen alot of problems with them. BUT like someone else said I have installed a new Trane that had a bad condenser. If you read the post carefully you will see I said it's a gamble. I have seen Goodmans run for years without an issue. I have seen them run for a year and have to be replaced. In the experience I have had with them they dont last as long before something breaks down. However I do apologise because it seems some were insulted by my opinion.

All equipment is designed, manufactured and installed by man....you see the weak link in the process....

I have Goodman equipment still in service installed 16yrs ago. The Goodman had a problem with a fan switch and capacitor at one time. Other failures were nothing uncommon with other equipment. Like andserco said here, the weak link is the installer, starting with the duct system.

Thanks to all who have responded. Based some of the comments in this dicussion, I would think I should be able to get the Goodman CDC14 (R-22) unit for less than the Trane XL14i (Puron). But the Goodman contractor is charging a little more. Both are reputable HVAC contractors. The Goodman contractor is skeptical about Puron systems. He feels that Puron has not been tested over the long term, and he is concerned about the increased pressure. Since I can get the Trane XL14i (with Puron) for less, from a reputable contractor, I plan to go with the Trane.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Not only are you wrong, but Copeland claims that there is a less percentage of compressors returned to them by Goodman then by any other company.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Nodyne sez the same thing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast