Scottsman CME456
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scottsman CME456

The machine is water cooled. We found the first time out there that they had plugged in a small freezer on the same outlet, We removed that and put the machine on a circut of its own.

When the water sensor falls for the first time it is supposed to energize the water valve and fill. Instead it kicks off on a water fault 2. (low or no water flow). The machine fills fine before the cycle. We have a new water filter and no restrictions in the water line.

We talked with Scottsman tech line. He suggested to replace the board and ice water valve. We did and nothing changed. During the start of the cycle the board is getting 27 volts. When the compressor starts it drops to 26, with the water valve (at the beginning of the cycle) and the compressor on it falls pto 24 volts. But nothing we can do will make it fill the second time, rather than tripping off.

Anyone got any ideas other that ripping it out and putting a Manitowac in?

You have observed the water fill as OK, and the water level sensor should be observing it as well...but the controller isn't getting the message.

I suspect the problem is with the water level sensor. Try cleaning the eyes with a Q-Tip. If that fails replace it.

I agree with Icemeister. You already changed the board and water valve so water level sensor is the next step. Good luck, some of these issues are hard to pinpoint.

I am surprised at the advice given by Scotsman for this problem.

I recently had to replace a water level sensor because the machine wouldn't fill. I removed and disassembled that sensor to clean the sensor eyes and found it's little circuit board in there was heavily corroded.
    When I installed the new one, the machine then OVERFILLED. Tech support told me to rough up the pins which the harness plugs into because they have discovered that, during production, a layer of conformal coating (overspray)arbitrarily landed on those pins and thereby insulated them from contact with the plug.

"You never know what others don't know." -

I went back today. Turns out I took a short cut that I should not have. I did change the water filter two weeks ago (Memorial Day actually). So I thought without checking water flow that it was ok.

WELL this place is on a road that one end of it is closed and you cant get thru, They have been working on the water line on the end thats closed. We took the water line off the back of the machine and not very much pressure, Changed the 2 week old filter and had plenty of water. The machine would fill the first time because the condenser water was not on. Once the condenser water turned on there wasnt enough water pressure to fill it the second time. I should have looked a little closer and not just thinking that the filter was 2 weeks old. Lesson learned

You know Scotsman tech support has really gone down hill. They used to be so good.

Sent from my amazing 4G device

I wouldn't be filtering the condenser water either

Quote Originally Posted by btack View Post
    I wouldn't be filtering the condenser water either

X2

Quote Originally Posted by voleye View Post
    I went back today. Turns out I took a short cut that I should not have. I did change the water filter two weeks ago (Memorial Day actually). So I thought without checking water flow that it was ok.

WELL this place is on a road that one end of it is closed and you cant get thru, They have been working on the water line on the end thats closed. We took the water line off the back of the machine and not very much pressure, Changed the 2 week old filter and had plenty of water. The machine would fill the first time because the condenser water was not on. Once the condenser water turned on there wasnt enough water pressure to fill it the second time. I should have looked a little closer and not just thinking that the filter was 2 weeks old. Lesson learned
    Why would you be filtering water that goes down the drain?

Never filter condenser water.....omg!

X3
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Quote Originally Posted by voleye View Post
    Anyone got any ideas other that ripping it out and putting a Manitowac in?
    What about your company now?

It's not good to judge too quickly in this trade.
    That's the lesson I got out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    What about your company now?

It's not good to judge too quickly in this trade.
    That's the lesson I got out of this.
    if you could, you would.

I would. (Jk, but in a perfect world...)
    Last edited by ahiggins91; 06-13-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: HATE scotsman. Would rather service a crystal tips or cornelius.

I went back today just to check the machine out and make sure everything is ok. Talked to one of the trustees about the machine, water quality and operation. Sold them a brand new Manitowac machine with a better filtering system.

I dont work on a lot of water cooled machines. Why dont you want to filter the condenser water? If you dont the condenser side will scale up a lot faster? I have seen them both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast