Confused 11 yr old 3 ton, 13 SEER Carrier (R410) outdoor unit going bad...

Our HVAC service tech has checked it out and it seems that the compressor is bailing on us...He installed a "hard start kit" which is helping at this point, but it is recommended that we replace outside unit...

Researched HVAC as I didn't know much before this happened, but tended to gravitate to replacing with a Carrier...After a few inquiries and chats with friends in the HVAC industry, I am at a loss as to what would be in our best interest. Getting lots of good info, but it seems that it depends on who you talk to each person suggests a different brand.

It seems that most suggest that we replace both inside and outside units, but since we are currently at 3 ton unit, 13 SEER for a 1800 sq ft ranch, not sure of the benefits of replacing both unless we stepped up on SEER for efficiency. We currently have a variable speed air handler also, so apparently when this unit was installed 11 years ago it was the Cadillac...

Looking for advice as to whether we should move up to 16 SEER and upgrade inside air handler or just replace outside unit with another 3 ton, 13 SEER carrier unit?

Our usual HVAC guy is partial to Amana and I am just not so sure about that...I think I would like to go with TODAY'S equivalent of what I have...Any suggestions?

One quote we received was to only replace the Outdoor Unit - Carrier 13 SEER Comfort Series 3 ton 4WA Heat Pump - MH25HBC336W003

OR Replace and Upgrade Outdoor Unit and Indoor Air Handler - Carrier MH26HBC536A003 16 SEER HP, Carrier variable speed air handler, carrier electric Heat Package, Water Safety Switches (2), New Condenser Pad, Honeywell Vision Pro 8000, New Indoor and Outdoor disconnects

When I looked into the above Model numbers, they seem to be the bottom or base models that Carrier has...Is that true?

Not sure as to whether we should consider a Gibson, Amana or Bryant top model versus a lower end Carrier model???

HELP?!?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalWGSD View Post
    Getting lots of good info, but it seems that it depends on who you talk to each person suggests a different brand.
    And, for some reason, you think it's going to be any different here? What about Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Ruud, Rheem and York?

The bottom line is if you're happy with a particular brand, why change? Can't your guy offer you a more "upscale" Carrier system, if that's what you want?
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

I'm surprised that at 11 years the carrier evap coil in not leaking refigerant if i was going to replace the outdoor unit I would replace it all have they ever added refrigerant to the system

Carrier is still producing cadillacs and you can gt them with all the options. The reason to change both halves of the system are many. Top line units today do a bunch of communicating with themselves and the t'stat. They tell you when there is a problem. You will also be taking out the 11 year old parts inside or under your house.

What exactly was the original issue that caused the service call ,mabey a second opinion might be needed.

Confused Cause for call

Service call was made due to "Cool On" indicator flashing and outside unit making strange noise...Capiciter was changed (at no charge and I watched him the enitire time and trust him)...Advised to call if any further issues...Unit began to make strange sound and we called him back a few days later...Compressor was super hot due to issues starting up and Hard start kit was added....unit functioning fine now, but know that we will inevitably have to replace compressor or outside unit at a minimum...Tryimg to decide if we should ramp up SEER from 13 to 16 and/or whether we should replace outside unit only or replace both...Been partial to Carrier but current service guy uses and recommends Amana...Also not sure if we would benefit from two stage...we reside in central va...

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I'm surprised that at 11 years the carrier evap coil in not leaking refigerant if i was going to replace the outdoor unit I would replace it all have they ever added refrigerant to the system
    I don't recall ever having freon added to system...Coils were checked and are fine...Had two other companies come out and one came back with original Carrier replacement options mentioned in first post...

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    And, for some reason, you think it's going to be any different here? What about Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Ruud, Rheem and York?

The bottom line is if you're happy with a particular brand, why change? Can't your guy offer you a more "upscale" Carrier system, if that's what you want?
    Hey Sandshark...Figured there would be many folks offering insightful info and just trying to make an educated decision...Not wealthy enough to just throw money at any suggested system...Since we see it as a long term investment , I was thinking it may be beneficial to see what the "pros" think...Frankly, I trust my current service guy, but I am not willing to pay an extra grand for just any replacement system or pay more for a Carrier because he doesn't rep them...

What part of the country are you in and how much do you run the AC system ?
    luck dan

Live in central VA...

@Dan...we live in central VA ..leave temp @ 72 yr round..

If I were you and knowing what I know working in this industry. I have no irons in the fire to sell you anything either. First thing, replace the entire system, don't piece meal it together, you WILL regret it later. 2nd, get 16 seer if you can afford it. Who knows what will happen with energy prices 3, 5, 10 years down the line. 3rd, get a brand with aluminum or tin plated evaporator coil. Copper is gonna leak and you're gonna spend money fixing it in 3 or 4 years. Sorry guys that represent brands that don't have tin coils yet, it's a reality. Get a 10 year parts and labor warranty that isn't ridiculously priced, and not through the contractor. With the overall quality of the equipment out there, you're gonna have 2-3 decently prices repairs in the next 10 years. I'm sorry, the quality of equipment has deteriorated, not gotten better as others would lead you to believe. New equipment has more circuitry and less relays now, thereby making it more susceptible to power fluctuations and making keeping everything very clean, very important. Circuits boards and motors don't like lots of dirt and crud on it. Good luck.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalWGSD View Post
    Hey Sandshark...Figured there would be many folks offering insightful info and just trying to make an educated decision...Not wealthy enough to just throw money at any suggested system...Since we see it as a long term investment , I was thinking it may be beneficial to see what the "pros" think...Frankly, I trust my current service guy, but I am not willing to pay an extra grand for just any replacement system or pay more for a Carrier because he doesn't rep them...
    I like American Standard and Trane. Some guys like Carrier. Some guys like Rheem. Some guys like Lennox. Basically, whichever brand a particular company sells is the brand they like best. They all offer the same or similar warranties. They all do what they're supposed to do if they're installed properly. They all have issues sooner or later. You see where I'm going with this? There is no "one" perfect brand. Put in the highest efficiency system you can afford and the one that will give you the most bang for your buck, regardless of brand.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

I wouldn't panic at this point for starters. I'd recommend a hard start kit include a potential relay and start capacitor. This is to eliminate any issues with a failure of the hard start kit to aid in starting the compressor and thus leading to a situation where the compressor is condemned prematurely. Many units are shipped brand new with potential relays and start capacitors. You may get many years of operation from the existing unit with that kit. If a 'booster' of some wort was installed, I'd want it replaced with a true hard start kit.

That all said, if you're determined to replace a component, I'll suggest there are reasons to keep or replace the air handler when the condenser is replaced. First, determine if this is a cooling only system or a heat pump. If the former, then you can replace just the outdoor condenser without consideration to the air handler if so desired. If the latter, then you should make sure that Carrier pairs the new outdoor unit with that air handler for matching purposes.

Finally, you may want to consider that all of the Carrier air handlers, except for one or two 'builders models', have ECM motors in them. These motors are intended to reduce electrical consumption but if installed in a high static duct system, can have the opposite result. So selecting a company that does a proper load analysis (Manual 'J') and duct evaluation (Manual 'D') before recommending a replacement system is in your best interest.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!