Wow its been along time since Ive been on here, finally got the .net again.

I just picked up a MICROVAC REFRIGERANT RECOVERY UNIT off ebay at a decent price I think.

I searched for a few articles on this unit and only found one.

Anyone acutally own or use one ?

Model MVS-115-F

Here is a link that I came across : http://www.reftec.com/microvac_ii.htm

- Brad -
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Thats the type of recovery machine my boss used to get. We have 2 of those and 2 of the previous model.

The Appion G5 Twin we got last year just blows them away, no compairison.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Thats the type of recovery machine my boss used to get. We have 2 of those and 2 of the previous model.

The Appion G5 Twin we got last year just blows them away, no compairison.
    But is it still a decent unit that gets the job done ?

There's always somthing better out there, I paid $278 for it so I thought that wasnt bad at all. I'm not sure what they are new but im guessing $600 to $800.

Any thoughts ?

[Edited by awsomeears on 07-18-2006 at 05:01 PM]
    I forgot my Pen !!!

Think of the old stuff as dumb and strong and the new stuff as smart but just not so tough.

Our company recently purchased several of those recovery machines. We had problems right from the get-go. The first two I was issued failed shortly after and the other techs had their's fail also.
    We called in the company owner and he discussed this with us and looked at what we had.
    Come to find out, there was a run of these units where the contractor producing the compressor did not get them very lined up with the motor in the mount and after several hours, it siezed up. We lost several to this problem.
    We now have all good machines courtesy of the mfr.
    Well, we also purchased one heavy duty one, the TOL1104, that I've found and repaired some faults with it. The discharge valve handle was labeled incorrectly, if you set it for liquid recovery it sent hot gas to the bottle and vice-versa. I remarked the valve.
    I also had two flare connections break at the flare on the discharge of one of the compressors, it's a twin compressor unit. The owner sent us a high pressure, braided hose to replace the copper and flares. It works great now.
    While I'm still skeptical about these recovery machines, the owner has been very outstanding at rectifying any problems. And, so far, they've worked well.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Originally posted by william antley
    Our company recently purchased several of those recovery machines. We had problems right from the get-go. The first two I was issued failed shortly after and the other techs had their's fail also.
    We called in the company owner and he discussed this with us and looked at what we had.
    Come to find out, there was a run of these units where the contractor producing the compressor did not get them very lined up with the motor in the mount and after several hours, it siezed up. We lost several to this problem.
    We now have all good machines courtesy of the mfr.
    Well, we also purchased one heavy duty one, the TOL1104, that I've found and repaired some faults with it. The discharge valve handle was labeled incorrectly, if you set it for liquid recovery it sent hot gas to the bottle and vice-versa. I remarked the valve.
    I also had two flare connections break at the flare on the discharge of one of the compressors, it's a twin compressor unit. The owner sent us a high pressure, braided hose to replace the copper and flares. It works great now.
    While I'm still skeptical about these recovery machines, the owner has been very outstanding at rectifying any problems. And, so far, they've worked well.
    Thanks for the info, if you dont mind me asking how much were these new ?

I hope I dont have any problems, dam now im worried :-0
    I forgot my Pen !!!

In the begining, I used ice and salt.

I began doing "recovery" long before the epa demanded it.

After ice with salt, I got me an old coca-cola vending machine condensing unit, 1/4 horse, and modified this to suit my needs. It later got itself "grandfathered in" for certification purposes.
    That sucker competed with a $1700 model recovery system and we sucked a 40 horse system down, the two unit combined.
    This was 10 years ago.

it aint the tool so much as how you use it, when it comes to recovering refrigerant from any system.

The next time I shop for a new recovery system, it will have to be an appion. I'm sold on them.

(appion + ice + salt) that is...

Originally posted by awsomeears

Thanks for the info, if you dont mind me asking how much were these new ?

I hope I dont have any problems, dam now im worried :-0
    I couldn't tell you how much we paid for them, I am not privileged enough to know the company's financial operations.
    I do have the info to make contact with the manufacturer so you can find out if yours is one of the recalled ones. If it is, I believe they'll give you a brand new one, no questions. Tell them the model and serial No.'s and they'll tell you.

RefTec International, Inc.
    10530 Portal Crossing West, Suite 104
    Bradenton, Fl 34211

http://www.reftec.com

941-750-6622
    800-214-4883
    941-750-0222 (fax)

The Sales/Marketing Coordinator we have been dealing with is Tim Naylor

Like I said, other than the hiccups we had at the start, they've been fair decent units.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Thumbs down

We have one of those units. We have had it rebuilt a couple of times. Its now on one of our install trucks where it doesn’t get used much. We won’t rebuild it again and we won't buy another.
    "We'll have to outwit the fiend with our superior intelligence." Yukon Cornelius

Some people are like Slinkies---not good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

We had to rebuild the MicroVac machines basicly every year, now 3 of them sit in the shop.
    Now that my boss has used my Appion G5 Twin a couple of times on jobs we did together, the MicroVac2 my he uses is about to be replaced with another Appion.

Just a note on the Appion, use a 14 or 12 gauge extension cord for it, don't use a wimpy 16 gauge cord. I let a little smoke out of the motor on mine using a 100' 16 gauge cord, but it still works fine now. Evedently they got some back with burned up motors from people using long light duty cords.
    They now have a warning on the machine about making sure the voltage supply to the unit doesn't drop below 110v on for the first 50 hours of operation.

[Edited by mark beiser on 07-22-2006 at 01:25 PM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

WOULD LIKE OPINIONS ON THE PROMAX model PMPROVAX Recovery unit