Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I'd be interested to hear either of you elaborate on that.

Or maybe you'd like to go back to Fax machines, stick shift cars and no internet too.
    I love standard transmissions. Give me a good Borg Warner Super T10 or a Muncie Rock Crusher behind a high octane, leaded fuel motor and I'd be in heaven.
    Just an old man reminiscing.

If your going after a kid texting, at what point does the manufacture get sued.

My wife has been driving a $40K 2013 Ford Escape, it's not in production yet, but one of her friends is a big mucky-muck in Fords Marketing dept and she has been driving this thing for 3 days to do a review for her Magazine. (Freaking car is awesome BTW)

The dash board is one big distraction, the center console is a 5" TV screen, with every known "thing" in there. From GPS to "entertainment" to engine performance info to bluetooth and back-up camera with "trajectory" (which is very cool). The "speedo" is another digital information center with trip, mileage computer, door sensors and all the other non-sense you can think of.

The point here is, the car itself is a distraction. The only *plus* is that virtually everything in the car can be controlled with voice commands (except opening windows and doors~~~although the rear hatch can be opened by waving you foot under the bumper, it will open automatically, which handy if your hands are full~~~another very cool feature)

The only way your going to stop distracted driving, is to make a car with 4 wheels, a steering wheel and paint. NO cup holders, NO radio, NO heads up display (oh ya, the new Escape, if your in 'cruise control' and you get to close to another vehicle the car will automatically slow down and virtual brake lights come up on the windshield AND you can set the parameters for distance from another car, cool stuff)

As far as putting 18 year old in jail for two years? uuum, I think putting him in a Minimum security facility would be a good option. Putting a otherwise decent kid in big-boy jail will probably turn him into a bigger a-hole.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

If you think about it watching someone talk on a phone is irritating in itself whether they are standing next to you at a coffee shop, sitting across a restaurant, sitting behind a desk, or next to you in a car. We have no data that determines how distracting it is compared to other things we engage in behind the wheel but we are ready bash these people while letting the hands-free people off scott free. We are suckers for going after these people thinking we are making the rode that much safer.

This law is revenge time for one of life’s irritations.

These kids can barely drive to begin with. I see them in stores texting, they walk into people because they are too stupid to walk and text at the same time. Now they want to drive too?? If you kill someone while driving, and it's your fault, shouldn't matter the reason, you get locked up. Guilty of criminal stupidity.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

I text all the time while i drive, i use the voice text,it doesnt really translate very well, ive sent some pretty messed up things before, surprised i havent been sued .
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

In order to prevent the senseless death and injury caused by poorly trained teens and other drivers, the penalties for texting while driving need to be at least as severe as those for DUI.

Don't let this be your child:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHvgzXOwNU
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Cool

I think the point here is not to cherry pick one activity over another or try to 'outlaw' it but place appropriate penalties for negligence. If you are engaged in ANY activity as a driver or allow ANY activity within your motor vehicle while driving and you are involved in a MVA, you the driver are responsible-period. It doesn't matter whether the driver is texting, changing radio stations, putting on makeup, allowing the dog to ride in his lap with its nose out the driver's window or allowing passengers to unbuckle and engage in distracting behavior, its all negligence.

Computers are used by reporters every day to commit lies, distortions and bad info. that result in people making poor choices or choices that result in negative outcomes for me and you. Shouldn't we regulate computers because they can be used to harm people? No, but a person who uses a computer to cause another person injury or damages is liable and can be sued. That's how it already works and works rather well in this litigeous society.

Effects were better than usual for this video. Would like to have seen hair embedded in the windshield spider-webbed crack w/ blood where someone did a windshield taste test. Also needed 40,000 'Chicklets' of safety glass all over everyone in their hair, mouth, ears, down neck, etc. BTW, dead and unconscious people tend to leave their mouths slightly open--you must be conscious or brain damaged to clench your jaw shut-same with eyes, which won't blink and get gelled over with 'scleral edema'.

Driving while texting causes longer reaction times than DUI and simple distractions. With cell phone use and texting on the rise, traffic deaths are increasing as well.

http://suite101.com/article/teen-dri...-vs-dwt-a34380

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...rivers-131627/

A recent scientific study directly compared the relative impact of DUI to texting on driving skills and reaction times. The results are quite illuminating:

Default braking time: 0.54 seconds
    Braking distance for drivers over legal limit: 4 more feet
    Braking distance for drivers who are reading a text message: 36 more feet
    Braking distance for drivers who are composing/sending a text message: 70 more feet

http://floridaduilawyer.com/blog/201...ing-practices/

It's true that distractions hamper driving. But some distractions take much longer than others, and some distractions require more thought processes and more blood flow to other parts of the brain. It's not a matter of cherry picking. It's a matter of recognizing the most frequent and most severe causes of traffic accidents and fatalities.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 06-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234