Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree whole heartedly. Any driver doing anything other than devoting 100% of their concentration on driving is creating a very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    I agree whole heartedly. Any driver doing anything other than devoting 100% of their concentration on driving is creating a very bad situation.
    But we want our cell phones and we want to use them while driving. So laws will have to reflect what we want first regardless of what is “safe”. Besides nobody will go up against the cell companies that have invested billions in the cell phone infrastructure that has been designed around roads and highways.

It is very coincidental that the new hands free law will not reduce minutes used, will probably increase minutes used and will spur hundreds of millions of dollars in hands free paraphernalia sales. So who is really winning with that law? I’ll tell you, naïve people, police departments and the cell companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    But we want our cell phones and we want to use them while driving. So laws will have to reflect what we want first regardless of what is “safe”. Besides nobody will go up against the cell companies that have invested billions in the cell phone infrastructure that has been designed around roads and highways.

It is very coincidental that the new hands free law will not reduce minutes used, will probably increase minutes used and will spur hundreds of millions of dollars in hands free paraphernalia sales. So who is really winning with that law? I’ll tell you, naïve people, police departments and the cell companies.
    As I said in another thread, it's all about money.

As I said in another thread, it's all about money.
    So we will continue looking down our noses at the guy holding his cell phone while driving while we think we're being safe with our hands-free device. What a scam job.

North Carolina passed a law banning texting while driving, but plenty of idiots still do it. As I drive the streets, I see cops typing on their vehicle mounted laptops. Why should they be allowed to perform this function? Wouldn't this also create a hazard?
    I got rear ended by a cop one time who was punching in my number plate. He called it in and 5 cars were there in no time to check on their buddy!
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    I got rear ended by a cop one time who was punching in my number plate. He called it in and 5 cars were there in no time to check on their buddy!
    Did his buddies write him a ticket for driving while distracted?

I'm curious, did the city pay for your damages or did your insurance co just give up on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Did his buddies write him a ticket for driving while distracted?

I'm curious, did the city pay for your damages or did your insurance co just give up on it?
    I was driving a rent a wreck at the time as I had just moved to Canada. It was a solid vehicle and minimal damage was done. I had to wait an hour for their accident report officer, he then called the rental place and the eastern european owner took the rare opportunity to berate the police. The accident report officer said to me " That guy was a f-ing A-hole". Everytime I walked into the rental place after that I was greeted with a big smile. I am sure he wasn't charged though.

Oh! one more thing, I have always been very respectful to the police and I did not pursue any bogus injury claim. Every time I seem to be stopped since that day they let me off with a smile.
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

I hate texting and driving. I will say both my kids, who are 18 and 20, dont even have to look at the keys while they text. They do however have to look at the incoming texts. There should be some sort of interlock installed in vehicles that blocks all texting IMHO

Im all for getting rid of cell phones and going back to rotary phones and analog technology.

The digital age has put us on a steeper slope to social moronism.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    There should be some sort of interlock installed in vehicles that blocks all texting IMHO
    I heard them talking about that but it just won't happen because they would have to transmit on a frequency they do not own. The FCC would never allow it nor would the cell companies. They know if they gave in to blocking cell phone calls that next they would be blocking calls in restaurants, theatres, churches, auditoriums and anywhere they felt they were irritating.

People cannot be trusted when they say they want to pass a law ONLY for noble or lifesaving reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    I was driving a rent a wreck at the time as I had just moved to Canada. It was a solid vehicle and minimal damage was done. I had to wait an hour for their accident report officer, he then called the rental place and the eastern european owner took the rare opportunity to berate the police. The accident report officer said to me " That guy was a f-ing A-hole". Everytime I walked into the rental place after that I was greeted with a big smile. I am sure he wasn't charged though.

Oh! one more thing, I have always been very respectful to the police and I did not pursue any bogus injury claim. Every time I seem to be stopped since that day they let me off with a smile.
    So did they actually put down in black and white on the reprot that the cop was at fault? If so, WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Im all for getting rid of cell phones and going back to rotary phones and analog technology.

The digital age has put us on a steeper slope to social moronism.

Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear either of you elaborate on that.

Or maybe you'd like to go back to Fax machines, stick shift cars and no internet too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast