You all know my story, I'm a service manager (maintenance man) for an apartment complex. Well, there's 19 buildings here all protected by fire alarm systems. Any way we are having a pretty good lightning storm here tonight. About and hour and a half ago I get a call from the alarm company for a fire in a building, I go there and the fire dept just showed up and of course no fire, just a lightning strike. We set it to fire watch and they leave. Five minutes later they are coming back, 2 more buildings are going off. Same thing in these two. Ok they leave and I assume they get back to the station, I get back home and low and behold I get another call from the alarm company. I have another building going off, I get out there and here comes the fire dept. This time only one guy gets out of the truck and checks it out. So now I have 4 buildings struck by lightning with alarm panels fried. Boy are the bosses going to be pissed off tomorrow.

That easy, huh?

I wouldn't have thought lightning could take out the firepanels that easy.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Me either, but this was one hell of a lightning storm. knocked power out around the neighborhood, street lights are still out. Personally I think the alarm comp. screwed up. They have lightning arresters on them but they must not be wired right or something.

the school system i work for has the same problem.alot of times lightening will hit a smoke detector and knock out the whole system. if your lucky that is what it did there.and by the way i know the feeling its a pain in the rear when you have to get up and go out and you know its not really a fire but the darn alarm screwed up i have been there and i feel your pain.......................

Originally posted by workhorse
    Me either, but this was one hell of a lightning storm. knocked power out around the neighborhood, street lights are still out. Personally I think the alarm comp. screwed up. They have lightning arresters on them but they must not be wired right or something.
    If lightning can travel 20 miles though air. Nothing the alarm company put on there is going to protect it.

Buildings are rarely struck by lightning when damaged. The lightning rides in on the utilities most of the time.