Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have posted a message yesterday about how my house is so hot and my A/C is not cooling the home (and has not been effectively cooling for awile). As I mentioned yesterday we have a new A/C unit and furnace 4 ton and 2850 sqft.

Well today the supervisor at the company told me that air conditioners are only rated to keep the house 20 degrees cooler than the outside temperature. I live in Houston - in average summers it gets 96-98 in the hottest part of the day...

Anyone who cares to give their opinion - does this mean I am asking to much to have my house cooled to 75 degrees all the time?

(As a side note my inside temp is 81 currently so it really is a mute point...but the lady said my A/C should not be expected to cool more than 20 degrees)

THanks everyone

what area do you reside?
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I live in Houston long summers avg 95-98 during afternoon. RH 85-90%

It's common to size system for 17 to 20°F less then the outdoor design temperature(in our area),but it can be correctly sized for 75 or 72°F ,if that's what you want,and make it clear upfront.

The outside design conditions for your area are 95 and 33 deg., the inside design temperatures 75 and 70 deg. The system that was installed in your home should be able to maintain 75 deg. during the summer and 70 deg. in the winter.

If it is unable to handle the heat loss or heat gain, then the equipment selection was wrong or the system design is wrong or both.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

20 degrees is what I have always been taught.

My house is 70, outside temp 97, dam im goood

I have a 1.5 ton carrier and a 2 ton coil. It was 97 here today and my indoor temp is 73 degrees. I have a 1000 square ft. colonial plus the basement office which is 500 sq. ft.

Originally posted by sdeemer
    I have posted a message yesterday about how my house is so hot and my A/C is not cooling the home (and has not been effectively cooling for awile). As I mentioned yesterday we have a new A/C unit and furnace 4 ton and 2850 sqft.

Personally I have lived in Houston for 54 years and been in the a/c business 30 years and they probably used a manual J only to size your unit but I would have never in my life have installed a 4-ton system in a home "IN HOUSTON" with 2850 sq.ft. you would have had a 5-ton or I would not have done the job. A lot of folks here promote manual J and yes it is a good starting point but when you have been in the business here for 30 years it's helps to know Houston and use a little common sense, also I have a 5-ton 14 seer on my home 2500 sq. ft. and my system is tweaked out to the max and today it got to 78 in my home so go figure.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by sdeemer
    I live in Houston - in average summers it gets 96-98 in the hottest part of the day...
    Yes and don't forget that "heat index" today of 104 and that latent is removed first and then it can work on the sensible.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thats exacty right Mr Bill!! I also take this into consideration when installing systems for the elderly. They like to keep their heat set at 80 degrees.

Hmm

MRBILL IS YOUR ANSWER I HOPE NEXT TIME YOU HAVE A MORE EXPERANCE COMFORT CONSULTANT

VULX you have to have your house at 70 not very good dehumdifcation should be comfortbale at 73 72 should recalculate your heat load

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast