"old" Victaulic to "new"?

I had an engineering consultant try to tell me (and others way up the ladder) that a Victaulic joint from the 1970s would not hook directly to a new joint and there had to be an adapter spool made up. They look like the same old groove to me. This is on 18 inch.

Anybody know what he's talking about? I sure don't.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

I put one on something from 1968 a few years ago same same!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    I had an engineering consultant try to tell me (and others way up the ladder) that a Victaulic joint from the 1970s would not hook directly to a new joint and there had to be an adapter spool made up. They look like the same old groove to me. This is on 18 inch.

Anybody know what he's talking about? I sure don't.
    Hi. I suspect the consultant maybe talking about a new patent groove that Victaulic realeased a few years ago. It is called AGS(Advanced Groove System) It is mainly for sizes 14"-24" couplings. It is wider, further back from the end of the pipe and the rear groove face slopes back. Its main selling feature is it reduces the number of housing peices to 2. e.g for 24" old style they are a 4 piece coupling. Other brands like Shurjoint, Gruvlok, Grinell still have the standard IPS groove couplings. Hope that helps.

More information on AGS

There are two groove types offered by Victaulic, the originator of the grooved method some 85 years ago. In addition to the standard groove, Victaulic began offering its Advanced Groove System in 2005 featuring a patented wedge-shaped groove that delivers increased pressure ratings (up to 350 psi / 2410 kPa) dependent on pipe size and wall thickness. You can tell the difference by measuring the distance to the groove from the end of the pipe -- a 14-24 inch /350-600 millimeter AGS groove is located 1.500 inches/38.1 millimeters from the pipe end, a greater distance than a standard groove. If you already have a system using the standard groove and want to now use the Advanced Groove System, Victaulic offers a No. W49 AGS Adapter Nipple to transition from the original groove to AGS products.

AGS couplings were first introduced for faster and easier installation of 14-24 inch /350-600 millimeter piping systems for use in HVAC, mining, water and wastewater and industrial applications. The company extended the line just last year for pipe sizes up to 60 inches/1,525 millimeters in diameter, again providing a two-piece housing solution for large diameter piping that typically required multiple housing segments to achieve the same results.

For complete roll groove dimensions or more information on the new AGS groove, please visit www.victaulic.com.

Wow, I'd have to say that man right there lives up to his screen name!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    Wow, I'd have to say that man right there lives up to his screen name!
    I wonder if he is employeed by the said company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
    I wonder if he is employeed by the said company.
    You guessed it, Bandalero. I am an company representative, so I'm glad to answer any other questions on grooved piping or Victaulic that anyone might have.

Victaulic with Polyethylene pipe?

Hoping Vic Expert is still around:
    what are the technical constraints of creating a victaulic connection on various diameter polyethylene pipe?

Hi Vic Expert,
    I teach in our Local's apprenticeship school.
    Is there any training literature or videos available for the Vic fittings and systems?

Thank you,
    Allen
    UA Local 602
    A man who says that he can't learn anything in a class is exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by pipetech View Post
    Hoping Vic Expert is still around:
    what are the technical constraints of creating a victaulic connection on various diameter polyethylene pipe?
    pipetech, sorry for the delay. Here's the link to download the submittal with more information about our plain-end HDPE piping system: http://www.victaulic.com/en/search/?keyword=19.01. Hopefully that answers your question. You can also contact us if you have a specific application or further technical questions you'd like to discuss. You can reach our Engineering Services department at 610-559-3502. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Hi Vic Expert,
    I teach in our Local's apprenticeship school.
    Is there any training literature or videos available for the Vic fittings and systems?

Thank you,
    Allen
    Thanks for reaching out, Allen. I'll have someone from training get in touch with you offline to discuss further.

Thank you.
    Allen
    UA Local 602
    A man who says that he can't learn anything in a class is exactly right.