Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ground short ?

Quote Originally Posted by AddMore22 View Post
    Hahaha.

I found out that if you just act like your running the show and they need you ... Then there attitude changes.

I fit in pretty good ... ( plus I like saying " hey hand, bring that tool bag over here")

I hope they're treating you good and paying you well. Not just any tech can do that kind of sservice work.

The ones that do should be well payed.

20 years ago when I was getting started a old man told me a good service guy has to be tough and smart.

Good advice from that old dude.

Well... I'm treated well... But it's below union scale.... But.. I can't remember the last time I had a week under 50 hours.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Yea. I honestly dont mind it. A couple of the guys wont go because the big meanie tool pushers and roughnecks intimidate them. Thats my theory any way.

I fit right in and the money is good.
    I never had any issues with the crews when I was flown out or took a boat. In fact, I never carried anything when I got onboard. Most were glad to see me, especially when it was the crew's quarters or the galley that was hot as hell. I miss the pay, especially when I had to stay overnight. There's nothing better than getting paid while you're sleeping...or fishing!
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Sand. Where u from?

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Topping off the compressor sump with liquid will trash your valves but I doubt it caused an immediate short. Is that for a drive house ?

Besides trashing the valves, the liquid refrigerant washes the oil from the sump, bearings run dry till the rotor collapses shorting the stator to ground. been there,done that.

Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    I never had any issues with the crews when I was flown out or took a boat. In fact, I never carried anything when I got onboard. Most were glad to see me, especially when it was the crew's quarters or the galley that was hot as hell. I miss the pay, especially when I had to stay overnight. There's nothing better than getting paid while you're sleeping...or fishing!
    Neither did those guys. Like I said it was my theory of why they hate going on those calls.

Maybe it's the industrial environment in general ? Who knows.

I went on a call in West Texas. After talking to the rig foreman I gathered everything up I thought I needed for a Trane 10 ton comp change out plus a new txv and headed out.

When I got their the unit was completely trashed by multiple compressor change outs in a time span of 18 months. Burn out after burn out and all they ever did was just drop a comp in, change the drier and start it up.

Plus they butchered the welds.

I called Houston ( Houston we have a problem ) and had my dispatcher send out a helper with new 1 3/8 hard drawn for the suction and 5/8 hard drawn for the new line set we were going to run. ( plus assorted fittings )

Also had him bring out a new evap coil and additional R11 flush.

We just started over and rebuilt the damned thing.

Cut the evaporater up when I got back to Houston to inspect and it was full of black sludge.

The nozzle was completely blocked with this sludge and all the distributor lines were blocked with it.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Besides trashing the valves, the liquid refrigerant washes the oil from the sump, bearings run dry till the rotor collapses shorting the stator to ground. been there,done that.
    On a scroll ? I see what you're saying but that specific scenario is limited to semi hermetics.

You still wash the bearings no doubt but not in a millisecond causing instant short to ground.

Sand. Where u from?
    I was living/working out of Galveston. I don't live or work there any longer, though.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

On a scroll ? I see what you're saying but that specific scenario is limited to semi hermetics.

You still wash the bearings no doubt but not in a millisecond causing instant short to ground.
    scrolls need oil too, they are more tolerant to flooding cause the pumping mechanism, specially the compliant scrolls.
    There is a misconception about compressors failures due to slugging/flooding, the old "you cant compress liquid" is only a small part of the problem, lack of lubrication is what makes them fail most of the time, it does not happens in a millisecond, depending on the system it may take days or just minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    scrolls need oil too, they are more tolerant to flooding cause the pumping mechanism, specially the compliant scrolls.
    There is a misconception about compressors failures due to slugging/flooding, the old "you cant compress liquid" is only a small part of the problem, lack of lubrication is what makes them fail most of the time, it does not happens in a millisecond, depending on the system it may take days or just minutes.

I'm aware of all of that.

What I meant was the crank on a Carlyse 06E ( FOR EXAMPLE ) obviously runs parallel to the bottom of the unit. So if the bearing in the end bell gets washed out then it allows enough play for physical contact between the rotor and windings.

So you get get a short to ground.....boom

The windings and rotor on a scroll are obviously vertical.

Plus in the last 20 years I've pulled my fair share of heads off of semi-hermetic compressors to see damage from liquid slugging in the form of holes in the top of pistons or broken cranks.

And one legs is always hot with the other two going in a contractor.
    There is your problem if you had power to the unit while evacuating. Never pull a compressor under vacuum while windings are powered. Seen it on a job where a co worker suddenly had multiple DOA grounded compressors, went over his install and evac process and he was leaving the unit powered due to 2nd compressor. He hasn't had one since.

Never mind missed the one post mentioning lock out tag out

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    There is your problem if you had power to the unit while evacuating. Never pull a compressor under vacuum while windings are powered. Seen it on a job where a co worker suddenly had multiple DOA grounded compressors, went over his install and evac process and he was leaving the unit powered due to 2nd compressor. He hasn't had one since.

Never mind missed the one post mentioning lock out tag out
    Yeah... At first I thought I screwed up... But soon realized that it was loto.

Fellas.... I know it's bad to dump liquid in suction. I didn't "flood" the suction line. I has a suction accumulator.

My thoughts are this :

This is the 2-3 time this compressor went out.... Initially I that a wrong TXV issue causing flooding. But it had been 6 months. I'm assuming who ever changed it didn't clean the burn outs ... Thus leaving a lot of acid in the lines. Eventually eating the insulation on the new windings and the vacuum may have been the icing on the cake.

I have to fly back out next week to change comp. so I'll bring acid kit and check.

Was the unit main isolator open or was the unit switched off on the control on of switch when you pulled the vacuum.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast