Compressor ----
    Copeland
    3 Ph
    560 Volt
    60Hz

Equipment
    10 ton split custom made (marine)......

Story.....

I fly 120 miles in the gulf of Mexico to work on a solenoid valve .... Change it.... All is good....
    I pulled a vac to 700 microns ....
    Dumped recovered gas back in (on both sides) and when I went to start it tripped main breaker. So I took wires off peckerhead and checked to ground. And alas.... Grounded. So.... Does anyone know why? It worked before.... I didn't turn anything on while in vac ....

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AddMore22 View Post
    Compressor ----
    Copeland
    3 Ph
    560 Volt
    60Hz

Equipment
    10 ton split custom made (marine)......

Story.....

I fly 120 miles in the gulf of Mexico to work on a solenoid valve .... Change it.... All is good....
    I pulled a vac to 700 microns ....
    Dumped recovered gas back in (on both sides) and when I went to start it tripped main breaker. So I took wires off peckerhead and checked to ground. And alas.... Grounded. So.... Does anyone know why? It worked before.... I didn't turn anything on while in vac ....
    When you dumped the recovered gas back in both sides was it liquid?

I think u charged liquid in suction side. compressor was probably compressing liquid refrigerant.

Topping off the compressor sump with liquid will trash your valves but I doubt it caused an immediate short. Is that for a drive house ?

Was the solenoid liquid valve leaking or just inoperable ?

Did you check it before you replaced the solenoid valve ?

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Was the solenoid liquid valve leaking or just inoperable ?

Did you check it before you replaced the solenoid valve ?
    It was just leaking .....
    It has a receiver.
    Not worried about liquid in suction
    It was in a VFD house.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

What is a "VFD house" ? What kind of device interrupts power to the compressor ? Is it a contactor or something else ? What kind of crancase heater, if any ?

"VFD" - Variable Frequency Drive- its on a drilling rig.

It's a 3 phase 600 volt ... So no cap...

Crank case heater has been disabled prior this.

I guess my main question is this ...
    Is there any way the insulation in the windings of a compressor be compromised due to a vacuum?

I thought "VFD" probably meant Variable Frequency Drive, but what exactly is meant by "VFD house" ? EVERYTHING has VFD ? Including compressor ? I realise it has no capacitor, at least I've never heard of a cap used to interrupt power as a means of starting and stopping something, like a compressor... The reason I ask what does start and stop, or interrupt the power to, the compressor is to determine if it is a solid state device ( like a soft starter, or a VFD ). It seems unlikley that it would be anything other that a simple contactor on something this size, but I just wanted to rule it out.

Actually it's a 10 ton with 2 5 ton Copland scrolls. And one legs is always hot with the other two going in a contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I thought "VFD" probably meant Variable Frequency Drive, but what exactly is meant by "VFD house" ? EVERYTHING has VFD ? Including compressor ? I realise it has no capacitor, at least I've never heard of a cap used to interrupt power as a means of starting and stopping something, like a compressor... The reason I ask what does start and stop, or interrupt the power to, the compressor is to determine if it is a solid state device ( like a soft starter, or a VFD ). It seems unlikley that it would be anything other that a simple contactor on something this size, but I just wanted to rule it out.
    Its a seperate building on land and offshore rigs that houses all of the motor control, fuses, controls and VFDs for the DC motors on the rig.

High heat load and a critical part of any rig. You lose AC and the drives overheat and they have to stop drilling.

A multi million dollar operation is put on hold until you get the AC repaired.

Roughnecks and tool pushers looking at you sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by AddMore22 View Post
    Actually it's a 10 ton with 2 5 ton Copland scrolls. And one legs is always hot with the other two going in a contractor.
    Was unit powered up ( even though not running ) during evacuation ?

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Its a seperate building on land and offshore rigs that houses all of the motor control, fuses, controls and VFDs for the DC motors on the rig.

High heat load and a critical part of any rig. You lose AC and the drives overheat and they have to stop drilling.

A multi million dollar operation is put on hold until you get the AC repaired.

Roughnecks and tool pushers looking at you sideways.
    Ohhh..., OK. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast