relocating a Cleaver Brooks boiler.....on a hot day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

somebody jumped or capped something with this boiler running for an ABS yesterday over in Jersey,and is going to have a career change coming up.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I saw another angle picture of it. The back oven door is swinging partly open on it's davits.

I wonder what part let go. Perhaps a tube blew out???

If I ever see a B.L.E.V.E. (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion), I want to be far away from it...

Noel

Frown

Too bad they would'nt put a little more money in it.Lots of cheap a h's that wont, up keep their equipment.
    life is at its best when u learn something new.

I helped replace one like this with similar damage in Chicago years ago....It was a delayed ignition....like 3 minutes. I did not know then that three minutes worth of gas at 75 inches of pressure could do that much damage. The boiler, another CB, had so much damage to the vessel itself, it had to be scraped. They never could place blame on the maint. staff, as they were all killed in the blast.

Bad day.

Man, that was just a sad thing to happen,but it does.

Originally posted by Noel Murdough
    I saw another angle picture of it. The back oven door is swinging partly open on it's davits.

I wonder what part let go. Perhaps a tube blew out???

If I ever see a B.L.E.V.E. (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion), I want to be far away from it...

Noel
    Just a guess probly low water caused the crown sheet to let go. When that happens it is like a balloon when you let it go. looks like they got away without a lot of damage. Normally when that happens the gas line breaks and then then you get a secondary explosion and ffire.
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by technut
    Too bad they would'nt put a little more money in it.Lots of cheap a h's that wont, up keep their equipment.
    You are right on that. Inorder for a boiler to fail and explode there has to be at least two failures, and normally it is on the order of six to ten.

I wonder what presure it was operating at?
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Hmm

cut-outs failures and something else my 2 cents.

that time of the day the A team was on site,and readings on both the boiler and ABS must of been routine...audible alarms...computer read outs something will come out by weeks end

Originally posted by no8no3
    I helped replace one like this with similar damage in Chicago years ago....It was a delayed ignition....like 3 minutes. I did not know then that three minutes worth of gas at 75 inches of pressure could do that much damage.

Bad day.
    Boilers don’t explode from delayed ignition, the most that will happen is that the flue pipe will get blown off the vessel and a loud rumble will be heard.

Gas in a boiler gets vented out through the flue by draft or combustion fan. Not enough pressure could be built inside a vessel to cause it to rupture.

On the other hand when water is pressurized and then subjected to a drop in pressure (atmospheric pressure) it boils off fast and expands at an incredible rate. This expansion creates enough internal pressure to blow anything apart and is the main cause of boiler explosions.

The boiler pictured above must have been exposed to a massive drop in pressure which caused all the water at high pressure high temperature to boil off simultaneously.

My guess is that the top “Man Hole” blew out while operating causing a massive pressure drop.

Core

Ka-boom.

I hope it wasn't somebody jumping the low water cut
    out because they couldn't keep enough water in it.

I actually found that once on a Clever Crooks boiler in an industrial plant.

God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

make that 2:45 AM the explosion happened so must of been a light crew if any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast