Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracer Summit VAV problems

Today I ran into a problem that I haven't seen before. One particular VAV box wasn't communicating true valid points. It was like the UCM edit screen, and graphic screen were just stuck in one position. I verified the address, and it was correct along with the link #. I can actually turn the VAV off, and the screens never show that it is offline. The cfm, zone temp., zone temp. setpoint, and operating mode stay stuck on one figure. So i noticed the VAV UCM type, size, and VAV type were wrong. So I started to set it up, and then all of the boxes become non editable. So I tried deleting the UCM, and adding it back with what VAV was actually out there. I got it set up, but it would never show communication. So I reset the boards power one time, and all of the values from before came back, the vav type, size, and ucm type all went back to the way it was before. I am assuming that something may be wrong with the board, but I am not sure. Is there anything else I need to look at? This box was added a few years after the intial Summit system was set up. So I am not sure how they tapped into the network. Do you think staring off could cause something like this?

One other issue at this building that I fight from time to time is some of the spaces start overcooling due to no Hot Water in the Coils. All of the vavs in the building use AHU air for reheating. None of the vavs are fan powered. So all of the vavs have heating min. flow setpoints. Well when the boilers are disabled the vavs don't realize it, and step there airflow up to the heating min. This then in turn subcools the space. Is there some sort of CPL program out there for when the boilers lock out to make the VAVs maintain only there cooling mins?
    J. King

I don't know much about Tracer Summit Software, but we have a Tracer Summit BMTX that talks to our chillers.

Have you checked to make so the wiring isn't grounding out or that the shield wire is attached properly?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    I don't know much about Tracer Summit Software, but we have a Tracer Summit BMTX that talks to our chillers.

Have you checked to make so the wiring isn't grounding out or that the shield wire is attached properly?
    The shields are attached properly. The wires are not grounding out anywhere near the box. I haven't traced out the entire network. This seems to be the only box having this problem. Thanks for the help.
    J. King

Starred network would definitely cause some strange errors. Maybe they star tapped when they added it. Duplicate address could also be issue considering you said it never showed off line when powered down.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    Starred network would definitely cause some strange errors. Maybe they star tapped when they added it. Duplicate address could also be issue considering you said it never showed off line when powered down.
    I thought about the duplicate thing. So I tried to set a VAV to the same address as another VAV on the network to see what would happen, and Summit responded saying that the address was already is in use. Then Summit bumped a address onto the screen that wasn't in use. So I know that isn't it. The star tap thing may be the problem. I will look into how they did this. Is it at all likely that it is the board?
    J. King

You set the vav to the same address in summit or you physically changed the address on the box to the same?

I would agree with hvac69 that this looks like two boxes have the same address out on the link.

I do not know about Tracer Summit programing, but I have the some issue with schools that have vavs in the Admin offices and some other areas in the building that are used in the summer. If u are also controlling or monitoring the boiler temps. link to the supply temp and setup programing that changes the heating cfm setpoint on the vavs to 0 when the hot water supply temp. is below 90 degs. F.

I have installed a number of Tracer systems for Trane and T taps and stars were not aloud.

When in doubt, change it out.

^ Then that would constitute him as a "parts changer" :/

Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    You set the vav to the same address in summit or you physically changed the address on the box to the same?

I would agree with hvac69 that this looks like two boxes have the same address out on the link.
    I just changed it on Summit. So should I just try to set the dip switches to another address that Summit says that isn't in use, and see what happens?

Thanks for the reply.
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by Willys_4 View Post
    I do not know about Tracer Summit programing, but I have the some issue with schools that have vavs in the Admin offices and some other areas in the building that are used in the summer. If u are also controlling or monitoring the boiler temps. link to the supply temp and setup programing that changes the heating cfm setpoint on the vavs to 0 when the hot water supply temp. is below 90 degs. F.

I have installed a number of Tracer systems for Trane and T taps and stars were not aloud.
    That is a good idea... Is there some sort of pre programmed CPL routine for this? Or do I have to attempt to write one from scratch? If Trane has one in there library, and I can just edit it for my application that would be great.
    J. King

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice3 View Post
    I just changed it on Summit. So should I just try to set the dip switches to another address that Summit says that isn't in use, and see what happens?

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    Yes
    Thanks man.

Does anyone have any documentation on setting up a program for the heating min thing? Like a CPL programming guide?
    J. King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast