Need to make Heat-A/C Decisions - Just Found the Forum
    I have a Victorian from 1890 in Northern NJ. 2 family right now. I live on the first floor which is about 1800sf. No central Air. Heating is gas steam radiators.

We just did an extension to the back of the house. 2 stories. 350sf 1st floor (already in calculation).

The existing kitchen is larger with an added breakfast area. Operates as one large room.

First floor has 6-7 rooms. Basement is 7' ceilings. 1st floor is 10' ceilings.

We waited on A/C to see what would be in our budget. Although nothing seems to be in our budget we have decided we need to do something.

AIR CONDITIONING
    I thought originally central air. I have received quotes ranging in price from X to 40% higher than X.

The inside unit would be mounted in my basement with all of the duct work in the ceiling but obviously all can not be inside the floor joists.

I has someone come in recently who said traditional central will be impossible, do a high velocity system (which also happens to be 75% higher than traditional).

Now I am reading about these Mitsubishi systems and am more confused.

Do I lose a lot of headroom in my basement with a traditional system?

Are these Mitsubishi systems an eyesore?

Are registers in the floors a bad idea?

Should I just spend the extra money on a high velocity system?

HEATING
    Rerunning steam to 1st floor is tough, not impossible, as radiator would be somewhat far away. Also need to address added space on 2nd floor (I am a nice land/slumlord )

I have gotten so many opinions on heating I am confused as heck. Some say just reconnect the radiator. Some say seperate furnace for hot water baseboard. Others have talked about heating coils inside the A/C ducts.

Are heating coils considered forced hot air and do they have the same drawbacks as forced hot air?

Any opinions on the different types of systems?

I would love to just redo the entire house with hot water baseboard, but that is not an option. Although I do hate the look of those baseboards.

Sorry for the wordiness. Dont really know what I am looking for. Maybe someone to point me in the right direction or give me some UNBIASED opinions.

My sheetrocker and wife are really pressuring me to make a decision so we can get the project finished. I just dont want to make the wrong decision I guess.....

As a homeowner, I am not really qualified to advise you, but you may want to compare the operating costs of the various proposals before making a choice.

Type "HVAC investor" in the search box once on http://www.energystar.gov I gave some details about it on page 4 of this thread http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=107521

Personally, I have an 80 afue gas furnace matched with a 15seer/8.3 hspf heat pump with NO electric resistance backup heating (not the best choice in all areas of the US).

This is too big of a decision to rush into, both for getting reasonable bids and avoiding expensive utilities.

Originally posted by xv80satisfiedcust

This is too big of a decision to rush into, both for getting reasonable bids and avoiding expensive utilities.
    I agree with that, old old house, new construction, take your sweet time and work out slowly what is best. If you have not suffered too much with no AC, maybe starting with a window unit or mini split cooling just a few rooms might be a reasonable way to go.

Personally poking a bunch of holes in an old house not designed for it, "always" seems tacky.

I am very much leaning towards the high-velocity systems. the contractor has done work for my cousin, who is a GC before and my cousin says he does good work at a fair price.

he also talked me out of a traditional system. he says that while people will say they can do a traditional system in my house, it will be tough to do it correctly. especially since all the registers are floor mounted.

for heating, we may go the route of hot water baseboard. its an expensive undertaking but it should reduce my gas bill.

my one sticking point are those baseboards though. they are just so darn ugly. i wish there was a different option.