Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trane Model 2TTR2048A1000AA

Dear Professional,

I will apologize in advance for any protocol errors in posting, I truly have never done this before.

Yesterday my children came to me and told me there was a funny smell upstairs and a wet spot on the ceiling. I went upstairs to look and although I did not smell any odor I did indeed see a wet spot on the ceiling. In addition, the flooring under the a/c vent was damp and the unit was not blowing any cool air. I checked the emergency drip line to the outside of the house (forgive me if the term is incorrect) and it was not emitting any condensation, so I opened the attic access and went up. Once inside the attic I could not see any water in the pan or around the unit.

I have two units that cool my home, both are Trane with the compressors being outside and the a/c' s located within the attic. The unit in question is Model 2TTR2048A1000AA; S.N. 24044S31F

Today an A/C Contractor came to the house and told me that this particular unit was a faulty design by Trane and while the idea was great at the time, practical application didn't work. He then told me the coil was "sizzling" and would need to be replaced. As I asked him for specifics on the replacement he told me he couldn't even obtain replacement parts for this unit anymore so the only option would be replacing the condenser (even though he verified the condenser was working?) the coil and the plenum. The bottom line was so outlandish that I asked why not just replace the entire works. At this he stated that perhaps he could locate the parts. At this juncture I concluded the conversation and the visit came to an end.

The problem I have is multi-layered. I do not posess the technical knowledge needed to ascertain the validity of the information being given. Having recently lost my husband and being alone with three children may seem like an opportunity to "over-fix" for some. Good information regarding A/C units is not easily obtained.

I would greatly appreciate any information and/or direction you could provide me.

Thank you.

Call

another Trane dealer.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

I agree. I've never heard a coil "sizzle" unless he's referring to the sound a leak makes blowing through condensation. Our contractor locater may help as well.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

You really haven't given us enough information in order for us to offer any specific advice other than to call another HVAC contractor for a second opinion. Trane's website can help you find a Trane dealer in your area.

https://www.trane.com/Residential/Find-A-Dealer/
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Thank you Gentlemen. Can I ask, are these units indeed faulty, as this contractor stated? If it is indeed the coil, is it reasonable that the plenum and air condenser would also need replacement? Any impressions regarding what may be the issue?

Thank you so very much.

What information can I provide that would be helpful?

Hold on, sounds like our nearby competition is there If nothing is wrong outside, don't boot it. If you have a coil leak, they can replace the indoor coil with one that will be fine with that outdoor unit.

I'm with the others, sizzling coil is NOT an industry term so sure like to know what he means!

As others, never heard of an A/C coil sizzling. Contact another Company.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We don't know what "sizzling" means. If "sizzling" means there is a leak, we don't know where the leak is located. Is it in the evaporator coil (in the attic) or is it in the condenser coil (outside unit)? If the leak is located in the condenser coil, which is all aluminum, the leak cannot be repaired and the coil would need to be replaced. However, there could be issues with finding a replacement coil since you have a system that uses R-22 refrigerant.

I freely admit my knowledge is virtually non-existent regarding this issue. That said, my inner alarm bells were loudly sounding while listening to this contractor. I too did not understand why the outside air compressor needed replacement when the issue was a sizzling a/c coil in the attic unit. It was this coil that was the cause of the fairly sizable ceiling stain. (So says this contractor).

I failed to previously mention that this unit has had previous issues. The first issue was detected when we noticed a steady drip coming from the drip line outside. The pan was replaced and the issue was resolved. A couple of years ago the system froze up. This too was a small fix. The drain line was cleaned and the coils were checked but no leaks were detected.

This unit was installed in 2002, by the way. Like SandShark, I am in SE Texas.

Do you have a friend or family member who can help you find another contractor? The bottom line is you really need to get a second opinion, especially since your inner alarm bells were sounding. Based on what you've told us, mine would be sounding, too.

SandShark,

This contractor said the problem with this coil and thus this "faulty" unit was the coil was located in the "belly" of the unit and not readily accessible for maintenance. He mentioned a T joint that was on the unit, this being an additional hurdle. The bottom line was a new coil and plenum that would attach outside the attic unit would be part of the answer.

Needless to say, I wouldn't know a plenum if it bit me.

the plenum is the duct work that the air travels through. The model # you have given is the outdoor unit. There are no defective designs in the Trane line. I would use the locator map and choose another Trane dealer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast