Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 61
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    To my way of thinking, homosexuals keep firing more and more shots at my morals, so I feel more and more inclined to respond with my objections.
    Says the man who can't go five minutes without making nasty comments about homos.

    It is when homosexuals infringe on my rights to not have to be subjected to blatant homosexuallity
    Could you please cite the Constitutional, Federal, State or Municipal statutes that provide this right.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    LOL! You are far from being this sites lone voice of dissent on the topic of scripture. All I ask is that you study the Bible with an open mind as to the times each passage was written and in the specific context in which it was written. It also helps a lot to understand that many terms used in scripture do not mean today what they meant at the time they were used for Biblical passages.
    In other words, the bible is such an internally contradictory, internally inconsistent, archaic, derivative collection of myths and tribal fables that its followers are forced to manufacture elaborate, logic twisting, science ignoring, truth-stretching excuses just so they can sleep at night.
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    There is no prayer allowed in schools, so there is nothing to talk about...is there?
    Prayer is most certainly allowed in public schools.

    Who told you it wasn't?
    Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

    Chapman Cohen

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    On further investigation, it appears that I have been wrong about prayer not being allowed in public schools. It looks like prayer, or any other religious attitude is not allowed to be taught or promoted by the school system itself.

    I agree that this is the way it should be, although I still don't think that the minute of silent prayer (or whatever you wanted to think about during that minute) that was done when I went to school was exactly indoctrinating anyone into any religious attitude.

    Nonetheless, I can go along with prayer not being instigated by school officials. Now if the school systems could get the hell out of other aspects of our social lives, such as teaching about sexual attitudes and behaviour, we could actually start making headway in getting social teachings away from government and back to society, where social teachings belong.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #31
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,321
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    On further investigation, it appears that I have been wrong about prayer not being allowed in public schools. It looks like prayer, or any other religious attitude is not allowed to be taught or promoted by the school system itself.

    I agree that this is the way it should be, although I still don't think that the minute of silent prayer (or whatever you wanted to think about during that minute) that was done when I went to school was exactly indoctrinating anyone into any religious attitude.

    Nonetheless, I can go along with prayer not being instigated by school officials. Now if the school systems could get the hell out of other aspects of our social lives, such as teaching about sexual attitudes and behaviour, we could actually start making headway in getting social teachings away from government and back to society, where social teachings belong.
    Prayer is most certainly not allowed in public schools, to the point that any student that attempts to pray at a school function even when it is not a school sponsored prayer is squashed in the most egregious manner possible.

    I will give an example high school graduation in a small town just outside of Houston, a group of students got together before the ceremony and prayed they were sued by the TEA an I believe the ACLU. There have been similar occurrences' at other ceremonies and sports events. Christian students cannot read a Bible on campus or have a school sponsored or sanctioned club but Muslims and homosexuals have carte blanche to proceed as they wish.

    The law may theoretically allow silent prayer fro Christians but as a pragmatic fact such behavior is outlawed.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Prayer is most certainly not allowed in public schools, to the point that any student that attempts to pray at a school function even when it is not a school sponsored prayer is squashed in the most egregious manner possible.

    I will give an example high school graduation in a small town just outside of Houston, a group of students got together before the ceremony and prayed they were sued by the TEA an I believe the ACLU. There have been similar occurrences' at other ceremonies and sports events. Christian students cannot read a Bible on campus or have a school sponsored or sanctioned club but Muslims and homosexuals have carte blanche to proceed as they wish.

    The law may theoretically allow silent prayer fro Christians but as a pragmatic fact such behavior is outlawed.
    I couldn't find anything to support this. Most of what is available are leftist spins on the subject. Can you post anything that shows what is really happening?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #33
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,321
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I couldn't find anything to support this. Most of what is available are leftist spins on the subject. Can you post anything that shows what is really happening?
    I do not have time right now but most of this is local or in Texas that I remember. I cannot remember if it was Santa Fe, Iowa Colony or Manvel. It has been a few years, nothing I can think of in the last three or four years.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Prayer is most certainly not allowed in public schools, to the point that any student that attempts to pray at a school function even when it is not a school sponsored prayer is squashed in the most egregious manner possible.

    I will give an example high school graduation in a small town just outside of Houston, a group of students got together before the ceremony and prayed they were sued by the TEA an I believe the ACLU. There have been similar occurrences' at other ceremonies and sports events. Christian students cannot read a Bible on campus or have a school sponsored or sanctioned club but Muslims and homosexuals have carte blanche to proceed as they wish.

    The law may theoretically allow silent prayer fro Christians but as a pragmatic fact such behavior is outlawed.
    No offense, but this story sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Public schools in FL allow churches to use the schools' facilities and staff to hold meetings and concerts all the time. Silent prayer is just that, it's silent and between you and your god. However, some people like to make a spectacle of themselves and put on a show when they pray or worship, and others think that if their religion is not given special treatment, then they are being persecuted or discriminated against.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Here's a flagrant example of religious indoctrination in public schools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OroiFsPhEpk
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Here's a flagrant example of religious indoctrination in public schools. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OroiFsPhEpk
    I don't get your point. The school is obviously closed. There are no students there. This is obviously not something being run by the school system. It is a private event. I used to have Boy Scout events at schools all the time when the schools were not being used. Schools are public venues that are usually open for community or social organization events.

    I guess next you're going to say that H-Talk is religiously indoctrinational because I am posting that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour whether we believe it or not......
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  11. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I don't get your point. The school is obviously closed. There are no students there. This is obviously not something being run by the school system. It is a private event. I used to have Boy Scout events at schools all the time when the schools were not being used. Schools are public venues that are usually open for community or social organization events.

    I guess next you're going to say that H-Talk is religiously indoctrinational because I am posting that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Saviour whether we believe it or not......
    I think this event took place during school hours. Even if it was outside school hours, who's paying for the lighting and HVAC to be on? Someone surely has to be around to clean up after them, and lock and unlock the building. You don't see a problem with using a publicly funded venue for an event that serves only a small portion of the population that paid for that venue? What if he were a muslim rapper bringing the good words of mohammed and allah to all of the innocent little pasty christian suburban children after school hours? Would there be an issue then? I know I'd have a problem with it, but not because he was a muslim. I am looking past the fact that he has a cross emblazoned on his shirt and hat and looking at the fact that this is someone with an agenda, using my stuff to promote his agenda to impressionable kids before they are mature enough to think for themselves. This is not about christianity, or specifically any other religion.

    I don't care who or what you pray to, just don't use my money to promote it. That's all I'm saying. Think of how much money would be saved if you cut out all of the contributions from local, state, and federal governments to religious organizations, and ended tax exemptions for churches (that are operated as for profit businesses, anyway). How fiscally conservative is that?!

    HVAC-Talk is owned by Penton Media, which is a private company, I think? They're free to do whatever they want and I have no right to complain about it. If I don't like your pontificating, RoboTeq, I can just go to another forum. However, I do like having these discussions with intelligent people, so I keep coming back here.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I think this event took place during school hours. Even if it was outside school hours, who's paying for the lighting and HVAC to be on? Someone surely has to be around to clean up after them, and lock and unlock the building. You don't see a problem with using a publicly funded venue for an event that serves only a small portion of the population that paid for that venue? What if he were a muslim rapper bringing the good words of mohammed and allah to all of the innocent little pasty christian suburban children after school hours? Would there be an issue then? I know I'd have a problem with it, but not because he was a muslim. I am looking past the fact that he has a cross emblazoned on his shirt and hat and looking at the fact that this is someone with an agenda, using my stuff to promote his agenda to impressionable kids before they are mature enough to think for themselves. This is not about christianity, or specifically any other religion.

    I don't care who or what you pray to, just don't use my money to promote it. That's all I'm saying. Think of how much money would be saved if you cut out all of the contributions from local, state, and federal governments to religious organizations, and ended tax exemptions for churches (that are operated as for profit businesses, anyway). How fiscally conservative is that?!

    HVAC-Talk is owned by Penton Media, which is a private company, I think? They're free to do whatever they want and I have no right to complain about it. If I don't like your pontificating, RoboTeq, I can just go to another forum. However, I do like having these discussions with intelligent people, so I keep coming back here.
    As I have already stated, being a public building, schools technically belong to the "public". That means each and every one of us with reasonably social organizations have the right to use those public facilities as long as the public facility is set up to handle it. As I have already posted, I've used schools for Scouting activities many times, as well as churches, synogogues and social organization buildings.

    In your mind, is there something wrong with being Christian that you don't think Christians should have the same rights as other citizens?

    Incidentally, in many cases there is a charge for certain services when public facilities are used by civic organizations. I just remembered that a Toastmaster club I belong to pays for using a room at a public library for our meetings.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,752
    I would like to know what parts of the old testament we as christians should be following and which do not apply to us today.

    Someone earlier in the thread said that only some parts apply to christians and other parts to the Israelites.

    Is there a list or something ???

    I personally dont believe that any of the old testament has any relevance to christians. Jesus covered it all when he told us to simply love God with all our heart and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.

    Some good stories in there.... some nice little lessons.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event