Copeland Discus compressor help!

Was looking at a Copeland Discus compressor (3DA075) that the system lost all its refrigerant and is very low (empty sightglass) on oil. Where is the correct port to pump oil into the compressor. The compressor is currently valved off from system and at 0 psi. Also dont see a port to drain the old leftover oil from the sump.

I have the two ports for the oil pressure safety I can remove. One goes directly into the crankcase and the other is the tee on the outlet of the oil pump for reading oil pressure. I was thinking I could remove the oil pressure switch capillary on the crankcase and just pump (with a hand pump) the oil directly into there. Is this correct?

For draining the oil there is a small oval plate near the bottom of the crankcase that has a spring behind it. Is this the only access to drain the sump. I usually work with 06d when it comes to semi's, and have virtually no experience with Copeland Discus. Thanks for the help guys!

Is there not a pipe plug next to the oil sight glass ?

Well I think the oil sight glass can be mounted in a couple differnt spots on the compressor (judging by the circle plates on the side and rear of compressor housing) but now that you mention it I think I do remember seeing a like 5/8" plug on the side of the compressor above the plate where you could move the sight glass to. Do I need to install a bushing to adapt to a 1/4" or 3/8" access port for a gauge hose and add it there? Thanks.

there should be a plug next to the oval plate, that is the drain. Pumping the oil back in, you can pump it right into the suction service valve.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDuffy View Post
    there should be a plug next to the oval plate, that is the drain. Pumping the oil back in, you can pump it right into the suction service valve.
    I will look tommorrow, maybe I missed it. This job has had numerous problems and I was there late yesterday. What is the oval plate with the spring behind it for?

Check out Henry Technologies (POE) for Positive Oil Exchanger tool. Makes the job a snap.

By pumping the oil directly into the suction service valve it will go directly into the sump where I should be able to see the level in the sight glass correct?

Yep and some Copeland compressors are 3/4 sight glass fill. Check for your compressor.

Look @ Copeland Application Engineering Bulletin #AE-1248 R8

happy reading
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info guys and the manual spinning wheel. Hopefully will get this thing running tommorrow. Looking at the manual it calls the low side of oil switch connection as the oil charge port. I guess either way service valve or crankcase port the oil will make it to the sump. Will update you all tommorrow!