Thread: Carrier id

Can anybody tell me some specifics on my package unit. Carrier model # is 48SX-03008321AA. Tonnage, cfm etc. Just trying to educate myself for a not-so-near future purchase. My current system is probably undersized now, inside temps struggle to stay below 79 on the hot SC days and unit runs constantly from mid morning til dark.

2 1/2 Ton. 1225 CFM

[Edited by lalo56 on 07-15-2006 at 03:49 PM]

You sure that is not 48SUX.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

4 ton???, you sure? Was sold as a 2.5 ton 12 seer by the contractor?? This unit was installed in 96 and has been flawless except in 2001 I enclosed my carport and the system just doesn't cool good enough. Too many questions now that I didn't know to ask back then. Why would he install a much larger unit than I paid for on a house that was 1300 sq ft then? Mr. Bill I guess you don't like Carrier, huh?

i edited my recent post it is a 2 1/2 ton unit.

1225 cfm.

look at the manual http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/48sx-2pd.pdf

[Edited by lalo56 on 07-15-2006 at 03:49 PM]

Will the current ducting need to be replaced with a larger unit. Currently has a 16 in. return and trunk line in the crawl space. I know there isn't much I can do know short of replacement of this unit but that just isn't an option at this time. I just hate seeing the power bill each month after it runs a constant 8- 10 hours a day with marginal cooling. Any suggestions on a replacement? Are the dual fuel packs any good? Natural gas ain't the value it was 10 years ago.

Have you had the unit cleaned and inspected this season. Maybe clean coils and a few adjustments will improve system performance.

You can buy the homeowner license of HVAC-Calc to perform your own heat loss/gain calcs. Adjusting building components will show how improving the building envelope (if there are areas to improve) can help lower the heat gain/loss. Most people are surprised at the difference adding attic insulation or window shades makes to the size of the HVAC system.

I've been looking at the calculator lately and will probably get it. As far as the insulation it's at r-38 now. Can't justify anymore. All windows have miniblinds that I adjust according to the season and curtains.

Just for info I have the t-stat set at 77, won't get there till dark. Temp outside today was over 95. Ambient temp inside is 78 and register temps are 50.On the bright side humidity was around 80% outside and 45% inside so it does feel pretty good.

[Edited by jl1 on 07-15-2006 at 08:59 PM]