Thread: Newbie question

I'm buying a 7 years old house. The inspector and the plumber both mentioned the condenser coil looks bad; the plumber is suggesting to replace (I assume he mentioned both indoor and outdoor units). The AC seems working well, but the coil looks bad. However,the AC is only about 7 years old, the question is if I should have both replaced as suggested. If so, any idea how much would this cost?

Thanks,
    -Tom

I would get a second opinion. But first off, why do you have a plumber working on your A/C unit?

Thanks for your reply. The inspector was asking for a AC checkup for the sake of bad looking of AC condenser coil.

thanks

Is the coil all rotted out with the piping exposed? Dogs like to urinate on the outdoor units and this causes them to deteriorate.

If that is the case, you will need a new indoor coil as well as an outdoor unit. Today's condensing units are not compatable with older indoor coils.

Also, we are not allowed to discuss pricing in these forums.

No, they are turning to grey/white color for most of the surface. Some small areas are dented. I don't know exactly the "pipe" you mentioned, but I assume that I don't see them exposed yet. Since the plumber was recommanding to replace it, he didn't bother to clean up the condenser coil.