Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So I find out that Trane sells a "checkout kit" for this controller. Basically just a couple jumpers with resistors.
    So I tell the guy at the Trane parts center to go ahead and order it for me, thinking it could be a usefull little tool to have. Can't be more than 20 bucks, right? Well I should have asked how much it was, because when it came in I was shocked to learn that it was 80 bucks!!

This is a honeywell product and by doing a little sniffing around, I found out that it's a restricted item (honeywell only sells this to Trane) and Trane gets them for 9 bucks a pop! Unbelievable. Talk about a mark-up. geesh.

Mcquay has them also not sure of price

The Honeywell W7100 discharge air controller is no longer made. Honeywell quit making them about a year ago.

The W7100 has been around for many years and has never been a restricted sales item. Trane, Carrier, York and others all have used them in their equipment at one time or another.

It is not necessary to have a special check-out kit from Honeywell in order to troubleshoot a W7100. Read the installation and service instructions for the control.

Norm

Just installed and started two 130 ton Mqcuay Split systems. Discharge air temps on both being controlled by W7100's. We purchased the controllers through Mcquay but Kele Products also sells them. They can also get the test kits.

Originally posted by NormChris

The Honeywell W7100 discharge air controller is no longer made. Honeywell quit making them about a year ago.

The W7100 has been around for many years and has never been a restricted sales item. Trane, Carrier, York and others all have used them in their equipment at one time or another.

It is not necessary to have a special check-out kit from Honeywell in order to troubleshoot a W7100. Read the installation and service instructions for the control.

Norm
    Norm, the kit he is talking about also has a plug that allows you to jump out the time delays, it comes in real handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

I was dealing with these controls back in 83-'84 and on. Didn't like'em them and I don't like 'em today.

I guess they were the only discharge air control at that time that could control everything from economizers to boilers and could be remote resettable, but they were still a real pain. The delay jumper ($50.00 back then even, and I worked for a manufacturer at the time) was somewhat better to service them with, but with such a slow responce time normally they couldn't be used in places of rapid temp changes. It was suggested by some at the time to even leave the delay jumper in. Not a good idea and I never did. I think it took the delays from 5 minutes to 15 sec or something.

The market has shown some much better improvements from the W7100 days, an outdated over 20 year old control. I still have one on a 16 year old Trane split 25 ton MUA
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

w7100 definately makes a good paper weight junk.

w 973 w 7080 ha they are all a biach to mess with
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by gruntly
    I was dealing with these controls back in 83-'84 and on. Didn't like'em them and I don't like 'em today.

I guess they were the only discharge air control at that time that could control everything from economizers to boilers and could be remote resettable, but they were still a real pain. The delay jumper ($50.00 back then even, and I worked for a manufacturer at the time) was somewhat better to service them with, but with such a slow responce time normally they couldn't be used in places of rapid temp changes. It was suggested by some at the time to even leave the delay jumper in. Not a good idea and I never did. I think it took the delays from 5 minutes to 15 sec or something.

The market has shown some much better improvements from the W7100 days, an outdated over 20 year old control. I still have one on a 16 year old Trane split 25 ton MUA
    We probably have over at least 100 still in service.

But I start a project Monday retrofitting 7 water cooled Trane package units with these with automated controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

saw the W7100 brand new in YORK's 25 ton range rooftops with the Copeland scrolls...York kickin' butt in that rooftop market?had a flash back to the late 80s Trane days when they went from the JAPS VAV trany....to the W7100.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Originally posted by maxster
    saw the W7100 brand new in YORK's 25 ton range rooftops with the Copeland scrolls...York kickin' butt in that rooftop market?had a flash back to the late 80s Trane days when they went from the JAPS VAV trany....to the W7100.

York quit using the W7100 18 months ago. Perhaps the unit you saw sat around for some time in storage before it was installed. York is currently using their Simplicity controls in all their commercial units.

Even units that used the 7100 back then were special order where the customer requested it.

That's fine with me if they're no longer being made. We still have A LOT of accounts with equipment that have them.
    I've never needed this checkout kit in the past, just thought it would make life a little easier.

Honeywell sells a kit for checking out some of their economizer controls. Cost me 11 bucks and worth every penny. I mistakenly thought this kit would be similar price.

The W7100 has been around for a long time. I have always liked it. Many technicians have trouble with it because they don't understand the control, how it functions and how to utilize it.

I don't understand why some here don't care for it. Even though Honeywell no longer makes the control there are many thousands of them still in service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast