Angry

Hi everyeone:

I am frustrated with the difference in temp when I walk into my master bedroom. My home is 3 bed/2 bath 1753 sq ft in Orlando, FL. The layout is a split plan. Garage is on left side of house and master is at right (i.e. farthest from the air handler in the garage). I recently had to replace the a/c and purchased a 3.5 ton Trane xr13 heat pump and 3.5 ton 2teh air handler (2TEH3F42A1000A). Unfortunately, the problem with the room being hotter was already happening with the former a/c unit as well. The master b/r and bathroom are connected without a door, and there isn't an exhaust vent to get rid of the steam from the shower. I will be dealing with that in short order. However, even when I air out the room with a lasko circular floor fan, the room still tends to be hotter. Also, if I close the door for a short while, the heat tends to build up in the master bedroom. My a/c repair guy advised that older homes (mine was built in 1991) weren't built with return vents to pull out the hot air. The room feels better when the door is left open and a fan is blowing cool air from the formal living room into the master bedroom. However, you can still feel the difference. My a/c guy took me into the attic and showed me that there was a spot where you could see the drywall above my bedroom. He advised that we could increase the size of the duct that feeds the 3 vents in my master bedroom. However, someone that just inspected our ducts for leaks advised against this, because it could reduce the air flow to other vents in the house. The last thing about my room is that the bedroom area is carpeted, we have two sliding glass doors which lead to the pool, and above the mirror in the bathroom we have a decent size semicircle window which the a/c guy advised us to cover up to keep out the heat. Any suggestions on upping the size of the duct or anything else major to make sure that this room gets as cool as the other rooms? BTW I also have a brand new ceiling fan with the blades sitting lower than a foot from the ceiling. Thank you in advance for your help.

you want to have a Pro install a Jumper from your room to the main house 1 1/2 times the main duct that splits all the ducts in your room if it only services your room
    and bath that will mostly likely cure your problems

Sounds like the contractor that just replaced the system, as well as the one who installed the original system didn't do a room by room manual J load calculation.

The unit that was just installed may not be enough for the house. If it is enough for the house, then the air is not being delivered to the areas of the house that are generating the heat, or at least not in enough quantity to compensate for the heat.

Sounds to me like you still have and always have had an air flow issue, along with an air conditioning issue.

"Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

He might need a slight adjustment but if he keeps the door open it cools better in the room so most likely he is pressurizing his master by keeping door shut so he needs return air without it here in Fl your done

Leave your door open 24 hours for a test see if that fixes the problem thats why the added Jumpers to code

[Edited by imperix on 07-15-2006 at 11:00 AM]

If it works with the door open, you could always do the trailer house return method and cut a couple inches off the bottom of the door and sacrifice a little noise privacy.

1991 is considered an older home!?!?!?!?

Besides the good idea of a jumper, the system seems un-balanced.With the carpet in the bedroom up against bottom of the door, you have no return air, hence the jumper. The room by room load calc is the ticket. You might have to damper down the rest of the house to force more air towards the bedroom. If you choose this service, remember not to play with the vents, or you'll negate their efforts. You'll have to ask for a service company that balances ductwork, they'll use a flowhood to do this.Good luck.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.