+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cap tube help

Post Likes

Cap tube help

Don't crucify me. Have no info LOL. Replacing a pump and cap tube in the morning. True box, Tecumseh 1/2 hp 134a pump. Pump is rated for high temp, application is med temp. I think it was a BC4 cap tube I picked up. Cap tube length should match med temp, not high temp correct? There is something like 40" difference in length. Truck is in a storage lot and I forgot to bring my notebook home.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Don't crucify me. Have no info LOL. Replacing a pump and cap tube in the morning. True box, Tecumseh 1/2 hp 134a pump. Pump is rated for high temp, application is med temp. I think it was a BC4 cap tube I picked up. Cap tube length should match med temp, not high temp correct? There is something like 40" difference in length. Truck is in a storage lot and I forgot to bring my notebook home.
    Actually the compressor is rated for a high temp application (many people confuse this with an A/C only application) which is a 0 to +45 SST (industry standard by most of the compressor manufacturers).

And yes, you are correct, use the medium temp cap tube length.

Post Likes
    Thank you sir

Post Likes
    In my experience, don't go by what the chart says on the box about sizing captubes. Call the manufacturer with model and serial and get the inner diameter and the length. If you can't match the inner diameter exactly, you can get close and adjust the length accordingly. Always go with manufacturer specs. If you have trouble sizing, you can call your local wholesaler and they can help you resize accordingly and get the proper total equivalent length.

And don't forget to change the drier and flow nitrogen while brazing!

Post Likes
    I typically consult the manufacturer but have kept this link handy i picked up from the site here
    http://boxload.tecumseh.com/SelectCapTube.aspx

Post Likes
    I wouldn't go by the Supco chart either. Depending on model I would go by True size and convert to what size you have or if it was a habitual restrictor I'd go off the sizing program 79 posted. It rocks
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Storage lot ?

Live in a rough neighborhood or worse one with a hard core home owners association ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Storage lot ?

Live in a rough neighborhood or worse one with a hard core home owners association ?
    3rd association since I moved here 8 years ago. If the van didn't have writing I'd be ok.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I wouldn't go by the Supco chart either. Depending on model I would go by True size and convert to what size you have or if it was a habitual restrictor I'd go off the sizing program 79 posted. It rocks
    I'll punch the #'s in the computer in the morning for the cap tube. New account(8 months old) Date code on the compressor is 2010, box may be over 10 years old. Compressor was grounded, figured I'd do the whole thing to prevent a callback.

Post Likes
    3rd association since I moved here 8 years ago. If the van didn't have writing I'd be ok.
    Get giant magnets to cover the writing lol. take em off & roll em up when you head out

Post Likes
    Or just buy some magnetic decals that say how much you love and appreciate your home owners association

Post Likes
    Called True. Supco and Tecumseh charts both incorrect.

What sucks is our construction crew has vans with no lettering. Boss won't let me have one because then everybody would want one.

Post Likes
    My home owners puts up with " the M1 Abrahms " I have to drive around. Probably because I donate my time to keep our pool club house AC frosty.

Boss told me to pick up my new van one morning back in 2009. I show up at the shop to swap trucks and there is a 1 ton capacity Chevy with the big engine waiting for me.

I looked at him and said " really "?

Post Likes
    both incorrect.
    So this is the third pump that you know of .......... maybe maybe not

Post Likes
    3rd pump at least. Funny thing though, cap tube appeared to be original, but I removed about 16" from the evap coil. Never seen that before. Also 3/8 liquid line reduced to 1/4" then drier, then 3/16 that covered about 2 ft of the suction service loop until it joined to the cap tube??? Personally, I have never seen this. I'm wondering if someone removed part of the cap tube and replaced with 3/16 or it came from the factory like that. M#TPP93 evap coil measured roughly 16"w X 8"h X 8"d, and IMO this takes the cake for True's most stupid design. Evap is on right side of 3 door box. Supply discharges thru the cold well into (4) evenly spaced venturis that have a moveable stainless plate above each venturi to prevent food from the well falling into the box. Air is blown over pans and forced thru venturis into box. Well the cooks, as ingenious as they are, wrapped the stainless plates with celophane preventing proper circulation, I'm guessing food was falling thru the venturis. Box was cycling from t-stat within 1/2 hour of startup.

Post Likes
    I service a lot of TPP93 pizza prep tables, thankfully have never had to replace a cap tube and so really haven't paid much attention to where it goes.

So you're saying the cap tube outlet is 16" before the evaporator inlet? Where is that...down in the compressor compartment? I'll have to look the next time I'm in one of my pizza shops.

That piping sounds pretty typical for True from my experience. From the factory, they come out of the condenser with 3/8", to a spun copper (POS) drier with a 3/8" inlet and an 3/16" outlet, then run the 3/16" to the cap tube inlet.

For the record, what size cap tube did True say the TPP93 takes?

Post Likes
    16" of cap tube shoved into evap coil. Not the standard 4" or 5". It takes 10ft of BC4 which is .064 ID

Post Likes
    Maybe they thought it was the t-stat when they installed it LOL

Post Likes
    LOL...

A cap tube inserted 16" into the evap. I'm shocked, but not surprised...because it's True.

It reminds me of the defrost termination sensor I found mounted less than an inch away from a defrost heater. Duh...

Post Likes
    Just an FYI on those boxes, if the covers aren't in place, the cold pans don't stay cold. Had one couldn't figure out why box was at 32*f but all the food in top cold pans was warm, first thing True asked me was "Are the plates over the holes?" Nope not a single one, causes the air to "drop out" of the cold pan area too quick.

I've also changes cap tubes on at least three True pizza tables. Not the hardest one ever, but not incredibly fun either..! I have also seen the cap tubes stuck quite a way into the evap, but never 16", maybe 7 or 8"...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in