I see many of you techs and owners worrying about the cost of fuel going up. While reading on the Honeywell site I found an article from Fram and AutoLite. Pretty good information that some may find useful for saving a small amount of fuel. cut/paste below.

...Ron

Ten Gas Saving Tips from FRAM and Autolite

1) Change your air filter regularly. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing a dirty air filter can improve your gas mileage by up to 10 percent. At $2.50 per gallon of gas that could mean up to $5.00 of savings every time you fill your tank! Industry experts suggest that you check your air filter with every oil change and replace it approximately every 12,000 miles/20,000 kilometers. FRAM Air Filters are available for a wide range of vehicle makes and models at leading mass merchandiser and retail automotive outlets throughout the United States and Canada.

2) Replace worn spark plugs. According to AAA, old or dirty spark plugs can reduce fuel economy by 30 percent. Changing spark plugs in accordance with a vehicle's owner manual will not only help drivers see a difference in vehicle performance, but can also provide a savings at the gas pump. Autolite offers a wide range of spark plugs for automotive and small engine applications throughout North America.

3) Keep your tires properly inflated and balanced. This can improve fuel economy by up to one mile per gallon. Depending on the size of your fuel tank that could mean an extra 20 miles per tank!

4) Tighten your gas cap. According to allfastcars.com, 147 million gallons of gasoline evaporate each year because fuel caps are damaged, loose or missing. So when you are finished fueling, be sure to tighten the cap.

5) Avoid aggressive driving. Speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent. Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $.10 per gallon of gas.

6) Use the vehicle manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. You can improve you gas mileage by 1 to 2 percent.

7) Avoid excess idling. Idling gets zero miles per gallon. Additionally your vehicle uses more gas to idle than it does to restart the engine. So if you plan to sit for an extended period of time, turn your engine off.

8) Take a load off. Heavier vehicles require more energy to move, so carrying around excess weight will affect your mileage. Empty out your truck of all unnecessary items. An extra 100 pounds of weight in your trunk will reduce your vehicles fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent.

9) Don't bother topping off when filling your car's gas tank. The additional gas has the potential to leak out if overfilled.

10) Don't pay more for premium grade gasoline if you vehicle does not require it. The more expensive gas will cost you more money without boosting performance or fuel economy.

Roof Rat

Drive Fords! When your E 250 is in the service bay with it's engine and tranny ripped out of it you won't be spending any money on fuel. The Beemer will get better mileage but it's hard to put a ladder rack on one of those.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Originally posted by mcr
    Drive Fords! When your E 250 is in the service bay with it's engine and tranny ripped out of it you won't be spending any money on fuel. The Beemer will get better mileage but it's hard to put a ladder rack on one of those.
    I have no clue as to what you are talking about. I'm not a huge Ford fan either but I have no complaints with the E-series vans. Brakes, tires, and oil until you get up around 100,000 miles on them. Then all bats are off, just like any other vehicle out there.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Ford bashers, I've had nothing but Fords and I'm not a slow driver always over the speed limit, fast off the light, always in a hurry and I usually never have any major fix ups until after 200,000 miles. They've served me well.

Originally posted by rscamaro
    I see many of you techs and owners worrying about the cost of fuel going up. While reading on the Honeywell site I found an article from Fram and AutoLite. Pretty good information that some may find useful for saving a small amount of fuel. cut/paste below.

...Ron

Ten Gas Saving Tips from FRAM and Autolite

1) Change your air filter regularly. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing a dirty air filter can improve your gas mileage by up to 10 percent. At $2.50 per gallon of gas that could mean up to $5.00 of savings every time you fill your tank! Industry experts suggest that you check your air filter with every oil change and replace it approximately every 12,000 miles/20,000 kilometers. FRAM Air Filters are available for a wide range of vehicle makes and models at leading mass merchandiser and retail automotive outlets throughout the United States and Canada.

2) Replace worn spark plugs. According to AAA, old or dirty spark plugs can reduce fuel economy by 30 percent. Changing spark plugs in accordance with a vehicle's owner manual will not only help drivers see a difference in vehicle performance, but can also provide a savings at the gas pump. Autolite offers a wide range of spark plugs for automotive and small engine applications throughout North America.

3) Keep your tires properly inflated and balanced. This can improve fuel economy by up to one mile per gallon. Depending on the size of your fuel tank that could mean an extra 20 miles per tank!

4) Tighten your gas cap. According to allfastcars.com, 147 million gallons of gasoline evaporate each year because fuel caps are damaged, loose or missing. So when you are finished fueling, be sure to tighten the cap.

5) Avoid aggressive driving. Speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent. Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $.10 per gallon of gas.

6) Use the vehicle manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. You can improve you gas mileage by 1 to 2 percent.

7) Avoid excess idling. Idling gets zero miles per gallon. Additionally your vehicle uses more gas to idle than it does to restart the engine. So if you plan to sit for an extended period of time, turn your engine off.

8) Take a load off. Heavier vehicles require more energy to move, so carrying around excess weight will affect your mileage. Empty out your truck of all unnecessary items. An extra 100 pounds of weight in your trunk will reduce your vehicles fuel economy by 1 to 2 percent.

9) Don't bother topping off when filling your car's gas tank. The additional gas has the potential to leak out if overfilled.

10) Don't pay more for premium grade gasoline if you vehicle does not require it. The more expensive gas will cost you more money without boosting performance or fuel economy.

Dang! Looks like all that's gonna maunfacture gas.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Another tip, dont use Fram oil filters, they are junk, dont believe me, cut one open

Originally posted by swampfox
    Another tip, dont use Fram oil filters, they are junk, dont believe me, cut one open
    Exactly right. Nothing but a piece of cardboard for filter material. Get Wix or Napa(Wix makes them).My previous post was bait for James. I see he must not have been around to take it.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

A business owner focused on fuel cost him or her doesn't know how to run a business. Fuel is the cost of doing business. Like everything else, you pass that along. If copper goes up, you raise your price or you lose. Same with fuel. UPS and all freight carriers do it.