I have a question about the most economical way to use my NEW AC. Ten days a month I am not home due to work for 24 hrs. Is it worth turning off the AC for the day and back on the next time I am home or should I maintain a constant temp. Thanks for the replys

Depends on how nasty its gets when its off, anything alive in the house you want to keep that way?

When I am going out I turn off the AC (most of the time), wife just turns it up 5 or 10 degrees, but we have two cats and about 85F they get too lazy to eat.

I would leave it at a moderate temp, say 78, just for dehumidification. Need to keep the woodwork and furniture happy too

mcot: You say this is a "new" a/c. Why don't you pose the question to the contractor who installed it? just curious. Al the best, John.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Ya ide keep it at 78 anyway,you dont want to walk into a house and rest above 80,besides if its sized right 78 is pretty comfy,but i like mine on 75,but im not the best sizer ever was anyway.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

keep it at a set temp, it's easier and cheaper to maintain a temp than pull down and dehumidify.

[Edited by Hawk327 on 07-15-2006 at 12:13 AM]

experiment -- decide what is right for YOU --

I am frugal, so I change mine drastically!
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by Hawk327
    keep it at a set temp, it's easier and cheaper to maintain a temp than pull down and dehumidify.

[Edited by Hawk327 on 07-15-2006 at 12:13 AM]
    Are there any hard facts on that? You could turn it right off at night when it's cooler but %RH increases with cooler tempertures! So is it a win/lose situation???
    Bill