Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I heard today on some discovery programs that Los Angeles is way over due for a MAJOR, HUGE earthquake. I did a little more research and many, many other scientist and Geo's are saying the same thing. Does anyone else hear about this latley? I have a lot of family in L.A, so it kind of concerns me, even know we all know that its always a possiblity. But a lot of people are saying it can come any day now....Im going to look more into this i think...

It's just the doom and gloomers.

Also Mt St Helens, Yelowstone, and Hawaii are all going to disappear in violent volcanoes either tomorrow or in the next billion years. Aaaand, AIDS, Ebola, West Nile, and Bird flu will kill us all. OH wait, don't forget global warming.......
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Heres a report I found

**OVERDUE For A Large Quake** -

** BAY AREA, CALIFORNIA - Some experts have continued to warn for years that a strong quake along the Hayward fault could unleash torrents of water up to 71 feet high in southern Ca, especially in Los Angeles, from a breached dam at Lake Chabot or the Upper San Leandro Reservoir. "We're talking about a tsunami from major reservoirs a wall of water under hydrostatic power, plus gravity. It would push cars completely off the freeway." Experts cannot say for sure how strong the quake would have to be there are too many variables, including water level and fault location. Lake Chabot, an earthen dam, is about 130 years old and holds more than 3 billion gallons of water. The Upper San Leandro Reservoir was built in 1977 and holds more than 13 billion gallons. "Everything we've been told about the Hayward fault is that we're all living on borrowed time." The last big quake on the Hayward fault was in 1868. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, a quake of at least 6.8 is 40 years overdue.

Heres a map of recent ones if anyone is interested...

http://www.thedesertsun.com/earthquake/quakes.shtml

I sure hope your not losing any sleep over this crap Trey..... sheeeeesh.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

No IM not, just since Katrina and what not, Im more concerned about disasters now. My cousin called me last night and said they had a 3 pointer the other day, so it just makes me wonder....

Originally posted by boduke
    No IM not, just since Katrina and what not, Im more concerned about disasters now. My cousin called me last night and said they had a 3 pointer the other day, so it just makes me wonder....
    Your Cousin must live in Riverside county. Living here in southern California, there are a lot of earthquakes. A 3.6 is nothing. i don't even feel them unless it's a 5 or higher.
    Do as I say, not as I do

heard that also that the stress is building up on the fault at both ends http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...n_andreas.html
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Death and destruction are not exactly foreign themes in cosmology. Black holes can rip apart stars; unseen dark energy hurtles galaxies away from one another. So maybe it's not surprising that Sir Martin Rees, Britain's Astronomer Royal, sees mayhem down on Earth. He warns that civilization has only an even chance of making it to the end of this century. The 62-year-old University of Cambridge astrophysicist and cosmologist feels so strongly about his grim prognostication that last year he published a popular book about it called Our Final Hour. [I looked up doom and gloom on google, theres lots more if your in the mood to worry]
    Walter Matthau

I live on top the san andreas fault & 10 miles from the hayward fault. I rocked & rolled with the 1989 7.3 bay area fault. Shake,rattle & roll.It`s part of life, don`t bother me one bit.

Geologically speaking, 40 years late is like being 30 seconds late for a party. No big deal. When it does arrive, it may garner more attention (be bigger) but it doesn't mean it's coming tomorrow.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Originally posted by coordinatesales
    Geologically speaking, 40 years late is like being 30 seconds late for a party. No big deal.

well put.
    Walter Matthau

Hell if california were to break off and slide in the ocean.......we would still have millions of illegal aliens.

I vote YES ....... we are voting on it arent we ????????

It could be a lot worst. hell,you could be living next door to dice.Now thats scary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast