Yes, that's it. For being such a huge move, Apple made very little to-do about it when announced. Quite a few of my online Mac friends have already gotten either the new iMac or the new MacBookPro with the Duo core. They all seem very impressed.

But the real excitement is that the Intel Macs will run Windows--all you need is the BootCamp software, which is a free download. The best of both worlds without the need for clunky emulator software like Virtual PC. Any Windows user could buy an iMac, and be enjoying the ease of using a Mac as well as retaining Windows functionality, without spending a cent on extra software. I assume that Apple's strategy is to build on the huge base they have established thanks to the phenomenal sales of their iPod, by making it as easy as possible to Switch.

Thanks. I've been kinda toying with the idea of getting an iMac. Never had any kind of Apple product.

I have a 20" iMac and just love it. (it's a G5, not the Intel iMac) I've had a Mac laptop for several years, but most of my time was spent on an AMD desktop. When it was time to replace that machine, I decided to fully make the switch. I was influenced as much by the iMac's small footprint as anything. But I must say, it really is easier to use. Things just "work". E.g., I was able to wirelessly network a new printer located in the next room in under a minute. It's mind-boggling how much easier lots of tasks are on a Mac. Anyway, I've had three Apple computers and three iPods, and I have been impressed with the quality of the hardware. (or maybe I've just had good luck )

It is definitely in stereo. The sound quality is surprisingly good on the iMac considering it is using built-in speakers. I'm perfectly happy with it, but it isn't nearly as loud as what you can achieve with external speakers. Of course you can add external speakers, but the iMac doesn't have the same ports that you find on the back of a PC tower. Meaning the 5.1 system that works on your PC is not going to work on an iMac. For me, though, getting rid of the 5.1 set up was part of the attraction. This is my business computer, and I get far more use out of the extra desk space than I did the five speaker set up.

l-k, you should try to check out the iMac in person. Are you anywhere near an Apple Store? If not, I know that CompUSA carries Apple products.

[Edited by yocona on 07-16-2006 at 01:46 PM]

CompUSA? I didn't think of that. Good tip! Only 13 miles, and I've been there once before to buy some Memory.

An actual Apple Store, farther away but a nice Sat or Sunday drive if I ever decide.

Yeah, nothing like seeing something in person. And if you're a gadget person, an Apple Store is a fun trip even if you are only window shopping. They always have music loaded on the computers so you can check out the sound quality. Don't know if they do this at CompUsa's. But you can always bring a music cd with you and pop it right in--tell them you want to see how well the iMac's slot loading drive works, lol.