Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck invetory

Truck invetory

I am trying to figure out a descent truck inventory.

I will admit, I am new to this and trying to work out the fundamentals of the HVAC business. I have been in business for myself for 15 years as a contractor. I just happened into this field by way of a friend and just loved it. Really, it's like I have always been an HVAC guy in a carpenters work belt. I left the contracting biz and now, start school in the fall. I am 608 Universal certified and currently employed for 2 years with a company. Now I am getting things together for my own company. I want to stay small but closely organized. I have 34 of my own customers I service on the side.

So here is a technical question for you experienced guys. What should I keep on my truck? Right now we just shoot from the hip and I need a basic model. I would rather put this in the pro section but I have to have 30 posts.(Working on it Dad...LoL)

Thanks for your advice.

I would think? If your ready to start your own business? You would already know what to stock! But, with only 2 yrs exp. Maybe your not!!!

Oh I am not ready to jump just yet. LoL. Not for at least 2-3 more years. I still have to finish my ACH class and Advanced refrigeration.
    I am currently working with a buddy of mine out of his shop. He has told me that he will be retiring in 3-5 years. I might take over his biz or start my own.

With Google docs and the internet I put together good ideas and procedures when I come across them and save them for the future, or for reference. This past week the boss put out a memo that said "No truck stock from now on" he is trying to keep truck stock down to prevent over spending.(I think it is a mistake but its his biz) We have never kept an inventory of truck stock so he has no idea what's out there. I have never kept an inventory ether. When I go to the parts store I just buy two. One for me and one for the truck. Now the boss wants every job planed before we go to the call. (which is impossible because on a repair we don't know what's wrong) I don't need a lecture on the importance of good truck stock. I understand running to the parts store for a $1.87 capacitor while I am on the customers dime is not a good idea, but I don't make the rules or right the checks so I do what I am told.
    In the mean time I am going to learn from others mistakes and I am going to get everything in line for when I am ready to take off on my own.

Also I would like to present a good truck inventory plan to save my frustration.

(Why work for someone that does things like that?) FREE SCHOOL!

Some universal motors ,plenty of capacitors, refrigerant,contactors and relays then tweek it from there

Truck stock idea:

2-jugs R22
    1-jug 410A
    10-capacitors (What sizes?)
    2-universal motors
    5-contactors (What sizes?)
    10-Relays

$670 worth of stock sound about right?

Motor brackets as you will find some motors have legs made onto the housing, where as your universal motors don't. Also keep an assortment of circuit boards, during winter, ignitors, draft pressure switches, and defrost switches. A good tip, take a piece of paper and write down what you are using on your jobs and be sure to stock up on the most commonly used parts. Most other stuff has been listed already, so I won't retype all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_in_WV View Post
    Motor brackets as you will find some motors have legs made onto the housing, where as your universal motors don't. Also keep an assortment of circuit boards, during winter, ignitors, draft pressure switches, and defrost switches. A good tip, take a piece of paper and write down what you are using on your jobs and be sure to stock up on the most commonly used parts. Most other stuff has been listed already, so I won't retype all of it.
    To add, I keep 3 or 4 of each size dual run capacitor plus multiple singles (5,7.5,10,15 etc.)

I am looking at all different software programs. Are truck inventory embedded in most software programs? That's off topic but I ask to lead into the next question. What is the best way to manage truck stock until I get the software? Paper and pencil?

We have a software program for dispatch but it does not do inventory.

How does your employer feel about your "side work"?

No problems. He still makes a cut ,there just my customers. He takes real good care of me and I do not have any intentions of hiding anything.

I take care of my job responsibility's first.

Quote Originally Posted by Northfloridatech View Post
    How does your employer feel about your "side work"?
    Why is that so many peoples first question? Who cares? ... Not maybe you North Florida but in general people always seem to get mad at a guy doing side stuff. Like the jealousy comes out. As long he isnt under a no compete contact what's the big deal? I have a van i do plenty of side work out of. As long as i don't let it affect my reg job there's nothing morally wrong or illegal about it

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Why is that so many peoples first question? Who cares? ... Not maybe you North Florida but in general people always seem to get mad at a guy doing side stuff. Like the jealousy comes out. As long he isnt under a no compete contact what's the big deal? I have a van i do plenty of side work out of. As long as i don't let it affect my reg job there's nothing morally wrong or illegal about it
    Oh boy. Here comes another long thread about side work. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast