Around mid-April I had a Bryant Evolution dual fuel System installed and even purchased the Evolution PerfectAir Cleaner.

I came to find out the air cleaner, while heavily promoted on their website wasn't yet available from the local distributor so the HVAC company installed the 4" filter in its place until the PerfectAir cleaner became available. I was OK with that especially since he said the 4" filters will last 6-9 months and maybe longer since we don't have any pets etc.

Well, it's been 3 months since the install and the Evolution control says the filter is already 70% used which at this rate means it'll need to be replaced by Labor Day. The local company told me as recently as this week the PerfectAir is still not available.

Two questions:
    1. Is it possible that my AQ is really that bad that the filter is getting blocked that quickly?

2. Would the Pros on this forum think it was rude for me to ask the contractor to eat the cost of another 4" filter if the PerfectAir is still unavailable?

Is anyone else out there encountering supply problems from Bryant with the the Evolution Series PerfectAir Cleaner?

Compatible media for the 4" filter is like $25 from Home Depot et al, is this really something you want to make an issue out of with your contractor? Replace it and cease your concern, and yes its likely getting full since I think this system measures air resistence (which wastes blower power usage).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The system measures the resistance of the duct system with the "clean" filter,then as the resistance increases to point "X" it's time to change it.

Now the higher the duct system resistance is the sooner it will reach point "X".

The one on order maybe larger then the one you have,larger area ,less resistance longer time between changes,of course the reverse could be true.

The one you have and the one on order ,filter out much smaller particles then your old filter,so that's part of why they may load up faster then you would think.

The air duct leaks ,if you have any,can pull some "dirty" air from some unusual places.

I'd give you another filter "just"for waiting,but if they don't I don't think I'd be angry with them.

You might take a look at your filter too. Standard throw away filters take a while to load up as lots gets through them. The 4" pleated will catch a lot more dirt and particles and you might be suprised how dirty it gets. Theres lots of sources of small particles in houses, carpet being a major one, whether from breaking down or holding dust in it.

But we just got an Infinity Air cleaner from our Carrier distributor about 1.5 weeks ago, so Bryants should be out too, if not real soon.

i had mine and installed it over a month ago not sure why taking so long for bryant to get theirs

if a filter looks dirty, you have waited too long!
    better to collect dirt there than in your lungs!
    better to collect dirt in the filter than in the inside coil

change into slippers in the entryway.

remember, all air filters & cleaners need regular maintenance -- how often depends upon one's life style, home construction, etc --

harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Is it possible for the static pressure in the system to be unstable?

One day I check and it says the filter is 70% used, another 20% and still another 50%. I guess the bottom line is that I'm not really sure HOW dirty the filter is.

Being a new system I've never had a media filter before. My 20 year-old system that got replaced used standard 1" filters. As I mentioned in my first post the HVAC contractor said the media filters could go 6-9 months between replacement.

If the media filter is 70% used then I'll be changing it every 4 months. If it's only 20% used then I'll be changing it every 14 months. That's a HUGE difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Originally posted by danglerb
    Compatible media for the 4" filter is like $25 from Home Depot et al, is this really something you want to make an issue out of with your contractor? Replace it and cease your concern, and yes its likely getting full since I think this system measures air resistence (which wastes blower power usage).
    Personally I don't think the Big Box store filters are the same quality as one that you would get from Bryant, Trane, Lennox or Aprilaire.

Buy the correct filter.

Originally posted by michael73
    Is it possible for the static pressure in the system to be unstable?

One day I check and it says the filter is 70% used, another 20% and still another 50%. I guess the bottom line is that I'm not really sure HOW dirty the filter is.

Being a new system I've never had a media filter before. My 20 year-old system that got replaced used standard 1" filters. As I mentioned in my first post the HVAC contractor said the media filters could go 6-9 months between replacement.

If the media filter is 70% used then I'll be changing it every 4 months. If it's only 20% used then I'll be changing it every 14 months. That's a HUGE difference.

Anyone got any ideas?
    IMO, all filters should be cleaned/changed every 3 months at a minimum. Why not? Is it too much trouble to replace a 15 dollar filter every 3 months? I don't think so. Instead of worrying about the logistics of it, just change the darn thing. All these new, advanced filters make these claims which may or may not be true. Why not err on the side of caution and replace the cheapest part of your system. Trust me, it's worth it.

Dash; how does that control determine static pressure? I assumed that control was time related.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Angry Just don't care..

Here is my spin on air fliters and how often they should be changed.

Air Conditionig the ability to make air changes per hour to remove the latent heat and humidity from the conditioned space.

With the filter clogged up and the amount of air changes per hour increased,then the amount of electricity used to make those air changes.Same goes for condenser coils being dirty,if heat can not be transfered through the coils to to condense the vapor into liquid to move into the evaporator coil to remove the heat then also increases the amount of electrcity used..

Then why can't H.O. change there filters or clean the condenser coils to save money on electricity..
    Just dont' care>>>>>>until it doesn't cool right...LOL

"Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Yes, three months is pretty standard for a 4" media filter. I wouldn't be concerned about your air quality from that - six months is an unusually optimistic estimate if you have kids, pets, carpet, etc.

The Infinity/Evolution Control knows what it's talking about.. it is the *only* residential system where you can really trust the filter change indicator. (I have heard mixed opinions about the Honeywell indicator.) It will ask for a new filter at the point where performance is about to be impacted; until it says your filter needs to be changed, the system is still performing at 100% because of the ECM fan motor.

The static pressure measurements that the I/E Control uses to determine when your filter needs to be replaced are very accurate. It's measuring fan speed and CFM moved and calculating static off of that; basically something they can do because Carrier very carefully plotted out the fan curves for this unit and put them into the computer. It can look at how much air the fan is moving, how hard it's having to work to do so, look up in the fan table and determine exactly what the ESP is. It's reportedly at least as accurate as hand-held flow meters, and probably more so in practice because you don't have any issues with the probe being put in the wrong location and giving a false reading.

Media filters are fairly cheap. I'd ask nicely for another filter, if they give it to you great. If not just go buy one and put it in.

I don't know performance data for all brands of big-box store filters, but many of them are made by Purolator. They have detailed performance specifications available on their website, and according to their specs the Purolator filters are as good as the OEM filters. Purolator actually provides a good deal more information about their filters' performance than the filter box OEMs do.

I don't entirely trust the performance of a filter where the manufacturer doesn't have full ASHRAE 1999 52.1 and/or 52.2 test data available *including* the initial static pressure drop at various airflows. (52.2 is better known as MERV, though it's a bit more than just the MERV number.) One of the reasons I trust Purolator's info is that I was able to call their tech support line and talk directly to a knowledgeable sales engineer.