Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, I just ordered my first recovery unit. It's an Amprobe RG5410a and should be here in a couple of days. I was just wondering what type of filter should I use on the recovery unit input? What kind to you guys use and how often do you change them?

We use the same machine.

Amprobe and others make one just for recovery machines... not expensive at all... comes with the correct fittings to install. You can buy them at almost any supply house.

When done with them be sure to install an air tight cap on the filter/drier for obvious reasons.

I use a small one, about the size of... Well, I dunno, but it'll fit in my hand lol.

Could probably use a bit bigger one someday.

So... how often do you fella's swap these filters out? I know it depends on how often you use them and what kinda systems you use them on. But I was thinkin for average use maybe once a year or so? Cheap insurance.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Pretty sure Alco and Sporlan make an 032 filter only, with male-female connections.

if you can't find the tiny one for the machine, I add one in-line on the suction hose,and add a second hose to unit. that way a normal filter can be used...cheap insurance. i'm also religious about purging my machine. I don't use it as often as an everyday tech, but it's evacuated plenty of good sized systems(20+ tons) and is still going after 9 years.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by kiwireeferman
    Pretty sure Alco and Sporlan make an 032 filter only, with male-female connections.

this is what we use, make sure it is reverse flow.

Originally posted by t527ed
    Originally posted by kiwireeferman

this is what we use, make sure it is reverse flow.
    What do you mean by reverse flow?

normal f x m drier will flow f to m, you need one that flows m to f to screw on to machine.

Originally posted by t527ed
    normal f x m drier will flow f to m, you need one that flows m to f to screw on to machine.
    Ahh, I get it now, thanks!

Thanks for all your help so far guys and forgive me for what are probably dumb questions; but I have a few more:
    Is the Sporlan 032 a liquid or a vapor filter (or both)? I guess what I'm asking is if it works just as well during both the initial liquid recovery and then the vapor recovery?
    Do you guys just use this filter to protect the recovery unit or to actually "recycle" the refrigerant before puting it back into the unit being serviced?
    Can you check it for pressure (temperature) drop just like a filter in a refrigeration system to know when it is time to replace it?

[Edited by jtsuttle on 07-30-2006 at 09:13 AM]

filter is there to protect my machine.

Vapor/liquid

Agreed, 032 is only to protect the recovery machine and little else, especially if you're not changing it every use.

The reason for a difference in liquid or vapor filter driers, is due to the allowable pressure drop in the lines. To use a liquid line filter on a vapor line would cause too much pressure drop for the system to tolerate for long life. Since your recovery unit is not a system running for a long haul, pressure drop in the filter is not important. Don't worry about liquid or vapor going through a filter on your recovery.

As to the next unanswered question, WHY would you want to check for pressure drop? Change out the filter each use and charge it to the customer. Why waste your time trying to determine When it's time to replace. Remember that most recovery takes long enough so why slow down the process with a filter that is only partially clogged but not that bad. It don't make sense to me to take a chance in slowing down this process just because I don't want to waste $5 on a filter.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Thanks for the help guys! But, where can I get filters for $5? Everywhere I have checked has been $12 to $15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast