Confused

On returning from vacation Sunday, I found my Wesco electric furnace fan running continuously, heat off, even with the thermostat set below room and outdoor temperature. Since we didn't need heat, I shut off the breakers. Turned the breakers back on, fan not running but a buzz from the furnace, so I thought maybe the motor had bad brushes or something like that. Shut off breakers again.

I'd been meaning to have the furnace checked anyway, so called service company. Their guy came and checked the furnace for function. He felt it was operating normally, with all the elements drawing about 19 amps. The buzzing was gone, so he assumed it was just a relay that had been briefly acting up. He didn't pay much attention to the thermostat, but I think the fan shut off a few minutes after he turned the set temperature back down.

The next day, the fan ran all day again, and nothing I do to the thermostat settings affects this. Can/should I replace the thermostat with whatever programmable unit the local Lowes has in stock? The system is 29 years old.

Mike
    Seattle

29 years old...it's had a great life. I would be looking into replacement.

Yes, but Seattle winters are so mild that its tempting to do nothing until it actually fails. A few days without heat would be trivial, and we could always fire up the wood stove in the basement to keep us from needing to break out the heavy sleeping bags.

Fifty bucks for a new thermostat looks pretty good vs. paying a couple thousand for a new furnace when the old one is not dead yet! If I can put it off a couple of years, why not?

Mike

It's your 50 bucks. What are you going to do if that Doesnt fix it?

Most calls we get are "the thermostat isnt working" when in fact, that is just the interface the customer is familiar with.

if the system is in HEAT and the fan is in auto...it is being called from the furnace not the stat.if the fan is running all day with the system off and fan in auto it is the stat.real proof would be to take the wires off the subbase of the stat(mark the color and the base terminal) and see if you get the fan run...then it is definitly something within the furnace calling that fan.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I think you are right

I'd try the answer above and follow his excellent instructions. I would definitely try a 50 buck fix on the thermostat, if it is not the problem, then you have a new thermostat even if you have to replace the unit, very limited downside. You might look on EBAY and watch for a great deal to come your way there. You are not in any hurry.

Give it a try!

Fan relay, or shorted t-stat wires.