59TN6A08021 Infinity Furnace
    24ANB748 Infinity A/C
    CNPVP4821ATA Coil w/TXV
    Infinity thermostat

AMVC95090905DX
    ASXC160481
    CAPF 4-5T Coil w/TVX
    Comfortnet thermostat

The Carrier system is a significant premium. Any opinions about what I get for that premium would be appreciated. Both proposals are from reputable factory-authorized contractors.

yOU DON'T CHOOSE A SYSTEM YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE WITH FOR 15 YRS. ON THE BASIS OF PREMIUMS.

They are very comparable systems. You get a better warranty and heat exchanger with the Amana. I wouldn't see either having a great price diff equipment wise. I'd be concentrating on the dealers to make sure you are comfortable with either and both have good reputations and will be around.

I told a guy Friday his 10 year parts and labor warranty disappeared with the Rheem dealer that disappeared. The dealer had an address in our county but I sure never heard of him. This HO should have checked out his dealer a bit more carefully before buying.

crymtide - No you don't. You make choices based on performance and reasonable cost. The question is whether there are performance/quality differences in the equipment that will affect my experience with it in the next fifteen years that warrant a significant difference in cost.

BaldLoonie - that what my inexperienced read of the product cut sheets told me, but I was looking for a pro's perspective. Thanks. The two quotes are from two top rated shops. Both have been in business for years.

I note for any that want to comment: I received a third quote for a 13 SEER single stage system. The contractor refused to quote a two stage AC system because he said it will just cool the first two levels of my 2-1/2 story home (daylight basement) -- single state air wouldn't get to the top floor. I asked if that could be addressed with summer/winter dampers and received no response. His price was low (not surprising) but nowhere near comparable as far as I can tell (at least on the A/C side): Furnace A/S AUH2C100A9V4VA; A/C 4A7A3042; therm ACONT602. I'm not even sure that system would take advantage of VS on the AC side.

Question Infinity vs ComfortNet

I'm having trouble figuring out the differences between the systems. It seems to be in the controller. Any input from the experts would be appreciated. The Carrier contractor could only tell me that the Infinity controls based upon its sensors-continuosly, whereas his understanding was that the Amana/Goodman is not that sophisticated. For example, the humidity control on the Comfortnet is just a lower fan speed. Once cooling demand is satisfied, it shuts down regardless of RH. He was going to try to get me some more detailed information.