+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does normal mean?

Post Likes
    r12

sorry to hear about your wife. my neighbor has that (sorry i am not going to try to spell it) i also have 3 or 4 customers with it as well. it seems they all have good and bad days. my wife has rhumitiod arthritis (she is 27) so i have a little idea of what you are going through. i like the idea of studing massages, i might try that.

jeep

Post Likes
    Originally posted by frozensolid
    If you are here, you are not normal.

Have you met my wife?

Post Likes
    normal and not normal,Ide say it would be dull world if everybody was normal,when people act abnormal it gets your attention and raises your eyebrows doesnt it,who sets the standard of what is normal,you think your normal,dont be so sure,you may be the wierd one.I work with a fellow who i say is very not normal,and wont say what goes on there but he is very out there on many things he does and says.My view of normal and not normal is going agaist the grain or the way things is done in the big picture,most people eat 3 meals a day,if a guy eats 1 he's not normal in my book,most people have got 1 mate and thats it,when ya got 2 or 3 trying to keep happy,that not right iether for i have a hell of a time out of one.And ide say its normmal to have been divorced once,everybody needs a second chance but damn if you've been divorced more than 3 or 4 times i wouldnt consider that not normal iether.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Post Likes
    All you guys are messed up.
    Not even 2 advice columns in here could help, although one of those columns kinda sucked.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Diceman,help with what,i thought he was wanting opinions on what was normal and not,just my 2 cents,thats my take.If you see a cat screwen a dog would ya call that normal,some may but i wouldnt,but i might take a picture for a joke.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Post Likes

Normal

Thats why we tend to make close friends with other people just like us. Outsiders are not normal. There are a few guys I talk to here. I am comfortable with them. I concider them normal. There are some that I try to be friendly with to no avail. I like people coming to this site looking for a smile. Am I normal? In who's book? Signing off Roy? It's is a personal thing from me to you. But a grate for others. So I am not normal and I like it that way. Roy

Post Likes
    Why be normal?
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    every morning at 5:00 , thats normal or is it regular?

Post Likes
    Normal is as normal does. To some it is normal to post on this site regularly while to others regular posters here are not normal. Normal is subjective. Normal is in the eye of the beholder. Normal is as normal does.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Normal is as normal does. To some it is normal to post on this site regularly while to others regular posters here are not normal. Normal is subjective. Normal is in the eye of the beholder. Normal is as normal does.
    Robo, you are an eccentric, qasi-virtual entity, far from normal.

Post Likes

675 miles as the crow flies

Post Likes

Talking Normal, Texas

The 20' By 20' Room
    To talk, thoughtfully, about roleplaying games.Recent Posts
    RPG.net Has Search Again
    Recent Comments
    Vaxalon on RPG.net Has Search Again
    Tim on Lexicon: an RPG
    Dfaran L'Eniarc on Lexicon: an RPG
    Lxndr on Lexicon: an RPG
    Tim on Lexicon: an RPG
    orpha on Interview with Sarah Kahn
    Bruno on Game For Hire
    Bruno on Welcome to Post-Roleplaying
    Bruno on Pete Darby reviews Impro for Storytellers
    Bruno on Under the "Is Not/Is Too" Mask
    Search This Blog

Categories
    Administrivia
    Critical Analysis
    FAQs and Guides
    Games and Supplements
    General
    Industry Analysis
    Reviews
    Writing Exercises
    Archives
    June 2006
    May 2006
    April 2006
    March 2006
    February 2006
    January 2006
    December 2005
    November 2005
    October 2005
    September 2005
    Miscellanea
    About The Blog
    Contributors
    Syndicate this site (XML)
    Available on LiveJournal as 20by20room
    Gaming Blogs

10 By 10 Room
    Anyway
    Autodidact-at-large
    Blogless Lepolt
    The Blue Room
    Chimera Creative Blog
    Chris Lehrich's Journal
    Deep in the Game
    The Dog Blog
    EN World
    Elliot Wilen's RPG Journal
    Esoteric Murmurs
    Fair Game
    Flaming Monkey
    Games * Design * Art * Culture
    Gaming Philospher
    GamingReport.com
    Hamsterprophecy
    in the Shadow of Greatness
    John Kim's RPG Journal
    Lee Short's Journal
    Ludanta Reto
    Musings and Mental Meanderings
    OgreCave.com
    One Angry Polack
    Paranoia XP
    Rainfall
    Random Encounters
    Raven Swallows the Sun
    Roleplaying Tips
    Roll the Bones
    Shining Dodecahedron
    Sin Aesthetics
    Squidoo Lens: PPD RPG Design - Paper Pencil & Dice Rules
    This is My Blog
    Treasure Tables
    Treasure Tables Forum
    Uncle Bear
    Wild Musings
    WolfSpoor
    Yog-Sothoth.com
    Yudhishthira's Dice

Blogs of Gamers

Aaron Acevedo
    Atomic Age
    Artbroken Productions (Patrick O'Duffy)
    Axiomancy
    Blog, Jvstin Style
    The Blog That Goes Ping
    Bruce Cordell
    Caveat Lector
    Cayzle's Wemic Site
    Cries from the Internet (Jolly R. Blackburn)
    Dave Does the Blog
    Distractions
    Dork Tidings
    A Dream of Red Mansions
    Ed Heil
    Frothing at the Mouth
    Gamera Spinning
    Grubb Street
    Hitherby Dragons
    I Have Powers
    IMAGinES
    Inkor Eynowd
    John Wick's Journal
    Ken Hite's Journal
    Matt Forbeck
    The Moral Character of the Monkey (Clinton R. Nixon)
    The Non-Euclidian Staircase
    Notes (Colin Roald)
    Nuketown
    One Man and His Blog
    Polytropos
    Population: One
    Raj KAJ's Journal
    Ravings of a Textual Deviant
    Robin Laws
    RoBoTNiK
    This Tragic Glass
    Tolen Mar
    Unqualified Offerings
    Where Worlds Collide

« Dice: When, Where, and How to Use and Fudge? | Main | 2003 Origins Awards Nominees »

May 06, 2004
    Normal, Texas
    Posted by Bryant on May 6, 2004 at 11:38 PM

This is not exactly huge news, but I just noticed it now and I haven't seen a word about it anywhere else, so hey! It didn't even show up on Gaming Report.

Human Head Studios and Green Ronin are publishing Normal, Texas this fall. The promo piece says "Normal, Texas, is a roleplaying game set in a tiny town in the middle of Texas in the 1950s. The people there are determined to live normal lives despite the fact that just about every B-movie from that golden, post-war era decides to stroll down Main Street on a regular basis."

Kind of a cute cover, too. It looks like it could be a nice comedy game; Redhurst Academy of Magic was certainly a fun piece of work with a light prose touch and a graphically lavish look and feel.

TrackBack
    TrackBack URL for this entry:
    http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/705998

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Normal, Texas:

» Fiona Apple Song Reminds Girl To Be Depressed from at the end of
    dangerously optimistic at the end of the school year, teenager Christine Lowell was reminded... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2006 1:22:13 PM

» Website 'Face Lifts' from SpaBoom from in revitalization
    website launch campaign. Included in revitalization are site refresh, redesign and [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 20, 2006 2:21:30 AM

» Migraine associated with high-normal sex drive from improve their
    susceptibility may not necessarily interfere with their sex life and may in fact improve their libido, [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 20, 2006 11:08:47 PM

Comments
    *blink*

Unfortunately, that fails my "what do you do with it" test. If you cannot think up three game seeds from hearing about the game, it's usually a bit of a bomb. It sounds like a cute premise for an anthology of stories, but not so good for an actual game.

Posted by: Emily K. Dresner-Thornber at May 7, 2004 7:24:27 AM

Heh, that's a good test. But I don't think we can adequately be said to have heard about the game from a teaser that brief. I mean, by that standard, Vampire: the Requiem is going to be a bomb -- I've heard about it but I can't think of any game seeds for it.

Hm. Maybe you play kids. Now I'm thinking Stand by Me and Boys' Adventure magazine.

Posted by: Bryant at May 7, 2004 7:57:39 AM

Even that is better as a set of stories or the premise of a novel than an actual game. I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's not a game. I mean, after you play boys and godzilla and/or aliens invade your town... then what? What do you do with this that isn't a one shot?

Sometimes I feel like the gaming industry has run its gamut of ideas, and even really bright, creative people are starting to get tapped. I just have this overwhelming feeling of global burnout. It's kind of a side effect of the great d20 explosion: there's so much crap out there, what do you do to make yourself even slightly tantalizing?

Posted by: Emily Dresner-Thornber at May 7, 2004 9:26:13 AM

Emily writes:

"...there's so much crap out there, what do you do to make yourself even slightly tantalizing?"

That's easy:

Busty Elf babes in chainmail bikinis on the cover...

...busty cat-girls, perhaps?

Of course, Normal, Texas makes me think of Courage the Cowardly Dog who lives in Nowhere. The game just doesn't seem to sustain. I mean, it may play great, but if it's comedy, then it's really tough to keep that running "Campaign" style.

Boys' Adventure novels...now that I like.

Tom

Posted by: Tom at May 7, 2004 11:47:06 AM

Hm. I think there's a difference between comedy and light, and I was thinking more light.

When I was a kid I read about a billion Tom Swift adventures. Plus a fair helping of Encyclopedia Brown. So that's where I'm coming from; I could play in a long-running Tom Swift campaign.

Not that I'm not just talking out of my ass, cause we dunno what the game's gonna be like.

Hey! What's wrong with selling a game designed to be useful for one-shots but not for campaigns?

Posted by: Bryant at May 7, 2004 11:55:32 AM

Nancy Drew, the RPG?

Well, here's the problem with a game designed for one-shots instead of a campaign: the price of admission. A really good game, like Shadowrun (for all its faults, and I know its faults), got played until it literally fell apart. I'm looking at a game like Normal, Texas and it will be glossy with high quality art and a nice $39.95 price tag.

Pamphlets at $4.99 a pop are fantastic for one-shots. That's great. That's fabulous. $5, you get a few hours of play -- it's better than a movie. Even $9.99 for a game that is basically played in one-shots is not bad, and extremely do-able. But the price tag for a hard cover glossy print game that you will play a single one-shot and then put it away so it looks good on a shelf -- I dunno. Seems like a hard sell to me.

I was raised on all those books too, Bryant. I read all of my Mom's Nancy Drew, plus the Hardy Boys, plus Encyclopedia Brown. I can see some appeal to playing kids. But this game doesn't really seem to go anywhere, does it? At least from the teaser trailer we see.

If you wanna write your novel, write your novel.

Am I the only one who finds busty cat-girls to be nauseating?

Posted by: Emily Dresner-Thornber at May 7, 2004 12:43:04 PM

Ah, so you're thinking one-shot as in "only interesting once," as opposed to "a good vehicle for one-shots."

Feng Shui is a decent campaign game, but I think it's probably better as a vehicle for one-shots, for example.

Posted by: Bryant at May 7, 2004 2:40:44 PM

"I was raised on all those books too, Bryant. I read all of my Mom's Nancy Drew, plus the Hardy Boys, plus Encyclopedia Brown. I can see some appeal to playing kids. But this game doesn't really seem to go anywhere, does it? At least from the teaser trailer we see."

If you wanna play kids - check out "Lashings of Ginger Beer" here

http://www.geocities.com/simonwashbourne/logb.html

It's British (based on Enid Blytons Famous Five)but covers the same sort of ground as Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.

Simon

Posted by: Simon W at May 7, 2004 3:04:55 PM

I wasn't thinking so much Nancy Drew myself, but Nancy Drew meets Men In Black -- some comedy, some mystery, some beating-up-hideous-otherworldly-creatures. I can imagine plenty of long-term campaign possibilities... I'm already picturing my character, an adventurous co-ed in a conservative plaid skirt and 'sensible' heels, always missing classes because she's off investigating the latest weird occurrence while the rest of the town resolutely refuses to recognize that anything unusual has occurred. (OK, so it's derivative of Buffy and Smallville. Sue me.)

And no, Bryant, you're not the only one who finds busty cat-girls nauseating. In fact, it was in the process of writing a fictional web journal involving a studly cat-man that the whole idea of human-animal hybrid types started to really gross me out (admittedly, it was also around that time that furries showed up on my radar). It changed the whole direction of the storyline and I eventually just ran out of steam.

Posted by: meredith at May 10, 2004 5:35:58 PM

No, no, Em thinks busty cat-girls are nauseating. I have not expressed an opinion. But I do like the idea of a fictional web journal; sort of reminds me of the loving crafted fanfic I wrote once about a fictional teen drama set in Innsmouth. Ahem.

Anyway, yeah -- the other recent TV show that came to mind was Roswell.

So yeah. It does it for me, which is all I can really say anyhow. Possibly doing it for Bryant is not a marker of commercial success -- no, wait, that's a certainty rather than a possibility.

Still hope Human Head posts more on it soon.

Posted by: Bryant at May 10, 2004 5:56:45 PM

Could be I don't see many plot possibilities and find it kind of vapid because I don't watch any TV except those shows where people are gratitiously capped. Reading -- it's fundamental!

Yeah, it's me who finds cat girls nauseating and really dislikes furries.

Posted by: Emily K. Dresner-Thornber at May 11, 2004 7:30:33 AM

Post a comment
    Name:

Email Address:

URL:

Remember personal info?

Comments:

'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes

Smile aircooled

We are normal because we all share something in common. We fuss and fight amounst ourselfs, we are pretty tight knit. Watch what happens when a new one around here makes a personal attack on one of us. It is never pretty. Roy

[Edited by oroy54 on 07-16-2006 at 02:53 PM]

Post Likes

Re: aircooled

Originally posted by oroy54
    We are normal because we all share something in common.
    We're all here cause we're not all there.

Post Likes

Talking Here is just 1 example

NORMAL

NOT NORMAL

Post Likes

Re: Re: aircooled

Originally posted by midhvac
    Originally posted by oroy54
    We are normal because we all share something in common.
    We're all here cause we're not all there.

Well isn't there just here without a T ?

Post Likes
    Wishing to be a fly on the wall watching 2 young women having sex, NOW IS THAT NORMAL OR NoT NORMAL ??????????????? lol

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dec
    Wishing to be a fly on the wall watching 2 young women having sex, NOW IS THAT NORMAL OR NoT NORMAL ??????????????? lol
    Not normal. Wishing to be the guy sitting at the edge of the bed hoping for an invite would be normal.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Robo you should not be in a thread about normal.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Is it normal for some of us to think others here are abnormal?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in