+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steam cleaner 4 kitchen coils

Post Likes

Steam cleaner 4 kitchen coils

Anyone using a steam cleaner on greasy kitchen condenser coils?
    If so, which or what brand/type are you having luck with? What techniques are you using.

I picked up a HAAN HS-20 (little handheld with a wand), and it didn't even come close to clearing the grease off a coil.

[Link removed by Admin per the owner of this product. Seems they don't like us linking to their site. So be it. REMOVED]
    Last edited by Dad; 12-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Did it once with a big propane powered one. Was basically a tall pressure washer that shot steam. Wasn't worth the trouble or mess IMO. I use chemicals and a wet dry vac now.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Mixture of concentrated dawn and very hot water, spray coil let it set 5 mins and power wash off. My former owner boss blew my mind with the results doing that!

Post Likes
    I worked on cars for many years. So I have carried some things over to the hvac field. One thing is that I use an automotive degreaser to clean grease off coils. Its safe, cheap and works great. Spray on and wash off. No heat, steam or high pressure needed.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by McLean Air View Post
    I worked on cars for many years. So I have carried some things over to the hvac field. One thing is that I use an automotive degreaser to clean grease off coils. Its safe, cheap and works great. Spray on and wash off. No heat, steam or high pressure needed.
    Like brake cleaner or an engine degreaser?

Post Likes
    I tried the steam route once upon a time. it definitely wasn't the answer. I started to chemically clean them the best i possibly could & depending on how serious the grease either put foam or aluminum mesh in the front if it, more times foam. I found whether the coil if plugged or the filter it's gonna be easier to just cut a new piece of foam than re clean coil knowing it's a p.i.t.a.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    I did gunk once. Man did it stink bad.
    You got one that doesn't stink bad?

Post Likes
    No idea.. My degreaser of choice has always been kerosene. Probably not recommended in a food production facility Heard of some Auto Glym stuff that's supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradable, but can't make any guarantees as to its effectiveness or smell for that matter. We'll just have to wait for McLean Air to chime in.

Post Likes
    The stuff I use is called muscle magic. You do have to cut it quite a bit with water, but it still works great. If you do not cut it enough, it will eat the metal. I buy it by the gallon and I can get 6-8 gallons of mix out of just one gallon of cleaner. Remember, you can't use it without cutting it down! Here is a link: http://www.superiorproducts.com/inde...oduct_id=30112
    My local auto parts store keeps some on the shelf for me. $8.00 a gallon. It beats simple green, and purple power, hands down.
    www.mcleanair.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Brake parts cleaner does not have any working time. It will flash off before it can do any work. Also, you don't want to be in a confined space with that stuff. Engine degreaser foams alot, but that can get messy.
    www.mcleanair.com

Post Likes
    Thanks for the clarification.. Might be a bit risky, but I can see where it can be the right tool for the job.

Post Likes
    The link from the first post was removed. The selling site requested it to be removed. Don't know why as one would think they would like to sell their product but so be it... the link was removed.

Post Likes
    We clean a bunch of kitchen condenser coils... what a mess. I don't do steam anymore. It seems to make matters worse.

I use Foam'n Clean cut by 70% water. Let it sit on a powerless condenser for 5 minutes then hose the crap out of it. Hot water works best but cold works too. Rinse WELL !!. It works great but don't spray any controls or fan motors. Condenser fan motors will crap out that day or the next.

If a top mounted condenser is cleaned then tilt the reach in to the back. We use a 2 ton hydraulic floor jack. The cleaner and water will rush to the back of the box. If it is allowed to run down the sides or front it will stain the dull aluminum, even the front stainless will streak.

We then use a small shop vac to suck the dirty water off the floor and follow up with a clean water mop. It's not an easy job. If you don't get the soap water off the floor someone could slip and fall. You must warn all who enter the kitchen.

If bi-monthly or even quarterly PM are contracted then buy a flat sheet of 3/16th foam window shaker black filter pads. Cut to fit the entire coil. Use jumbo paperclips to hold the pad by pushing the double end through the pad and slide onto a condenser fin. Do this on all 4 corners or just the top two. You can wash the filter pad on the next PM through the dishwasher or mop sink. Dry them by shaking and put them back on. DO NOT leave them on without cleaning them for longer than 90 days.

DO NOT USE ROLL TYPE FOAM (open cell) FILTER MATERIAL. The thickness was changed a few years back and is too restrictive now. The compressor will over heat on blend refrigerants. When the roll type is used and as it ages it will stiffen up and make it useless. Use the single sheets only. The poly hair filter material (blue and white crap) is about as useless as a tit on a bore-hog. Waste of time and money.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    We clean a bunch of kitchen condenser coils... what a mess. I don't do steam anymore. It seems to make matters worse.

I use Foam'n Clean cut by 70% water. Let it sit on a powerless condenser for 5 minutes then hose the crap out of it. Hot water works best but cold works too. Rinse WELL !!. It works great but don't spray controls or fan motors. Condenser fan motors will crap out that day or the next.

If a top mounted condenser is cleaned then tilt the reach in to the back. We use a 2 ton hydraulic floor jack. The cleaner and water will rush to the back of the box. If it is allowed to run down the sides or front it will stain the dull aluminum, even the front stainless will streak.

We then use a small shop vac to suck the dirty water off the floor and follow up with a clean water mop. It's not an easy job. If you don't get the soap water off the floor someone could slip and fall. You must warn all who enter the kitchen.

If bi-monthly or even quarterly PM are contracted then buy a flat sheet of 3/16th foam window shaker black filter pads. Cut to fit the entire coil. Use jumbo paperclips to hold the pad by pushing the double end through the pad and slide onto a condenser fin. Do this on all 4 corners or just the top two. You can wash the filter pad on the next PM through the dishwasher or mop sink. Dry them by shaking and put them back on. DO NOT leave them on without cleaning them for longer than 90 days.

DO NOT USE ROLL TYPE FOAM (open cell) FILTER MATERIAL. The thickness was changed a few years back and is too restrictive now. The compressor will over heat on blend refrigerants. When the roll type is used and as it ages it will stiffen up and make it useless. Use the single sheets only. The poly hair filter material (blue and white crap) is about as useless as a tit on a bore-hog. Waste of time and money.
    nevermind

Post Likes
    I have tried lots of coil cleaning products, but the one I like best is Viper. Foaming coil cleaner, let it sit for ten minutes or so, then wash off. Does a great job. If you don't have access to a hose, I use a 2 or 3 gallon chemical sprayer with hot water to rinse. I get mine at United.

Name:  ViperVCoil.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  62.7 KB
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    So its good for something eh? Got a link? lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in