Trane XL16c vs XL14c

My old package heat pump died and I am looking to replace it. I have considered various brands and models and am now down to Trane, either XL16c or XL14c, package all electric 5-ton heat pumps

The main (and only?) difference that I see is that XL16c has a two-stage compressor that can run at 100% and 70% output while the XL14c is 100% output all the time. That is a useful feature but the XL16c is going to cost quite a bit more than the XL14c. (The XL16c costs about a 1/3 more than the XL14c).

I had a contractor come out and he himself says the XL14c is going to be the best value and the extra cost for the XL16c may not be worth it.

So is the extra cost for the XL16c worth it or is it better to just get the XL14c instead?

In case this is helpful, I live in the Phoenix metro area and run my AC around 79deg in the hot summer months.

Thanks.

Get the Xl16c. With the two stage compressor you are going to wind up saving money over the XL14c.

I sell the 16c over the 14c based on a higher comfort level in our hot Arizona temps. Just make sure the contractor has done a load Calc on your home and is not just basing sizing on what is existing.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I agree that the two stage compressor is going to be more cost effective and slightly quieter when running at 70% mode. The question, I guess, is whether the cost savings overcomes the initial extra cost. At 1/3 higher price, it seems somewhat "iffy".

Of course there are other factors to consider beyond just the pure energy efficiency cost savings. The XL16c should be quieter in 70% mode (how much I don't know). Also perhaps the XL16c could "perform better" due to its two stage compression mode in keeping temps more even.

So its all these factors that I am trying to get a handle on in trying to figure out which unit is "best" for me.

Also the contractor did perform a Manual J calculation to determine that a 5-ton unit is needed.
    Last edited by polyharmonic; 06-03-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Let's see, the "16 SEER" is really 15.20 SEER, with 11.50 EER which is probably the more important number in Arizona. HSPF is 8.60

The "14 SEER" is 14.20 SEER so it is a bit less, 1 point not the 2 you'd expect. BUT, with a EER of 12.00 it is probably going to save you money in the heat of Arizona over the more expensive unit with the lower EER. EER is high load conditions which you experience. SEER is mostly cool weather operation. So while you spend a premium on the 16, will it cost you in operation???? Well could.

I'd put the premium into insulation, duct repairs, etc. Something that really will pay you back.

That is very interesting. So the XL14c is 12 EER but the XL16c is 11.5 EER even though the XL14c is 14 SEER while the XL16c is 15.2 SEER.

How is that even possible, that is have a higher SEER but lower EER???

Gotta look at all the numbers when comparing heat pumps. Some are designed to get a high SEER, which is mostly rated in cool weather. Some high SEER units have pathetic heating numbers. 8.6 HSPF isn't bad but fairly low for a "16 SEER" unit. I know of a "13 SEER" 2.5 ton that gets 10 HSPF. Just how units are designed.

I've found that often the 2 stage unloading scroll units aren't as efficient across the board as sister single stage units, that's why I thought I'd look at the 2 you are considering.

Thanks BaldLoonie for pointing out the EER number. Since the XL14c actually has the slightly higher EER (12.0) compared to the much more expensive XL16c (11.5) and since EER is actually more meaningful for AZ, it seems like a no-brainer.

Unless someone else can chime in (or even suggest another brand/model altogether to consider), it looks like Trane XL14c is the one to go with here in AZ.