changing from r-22 to r-410--lineset question

Hi,
    We're replacing our attic split system, changing from r-22 to r-410. The contractor explained his plan to replace all the lineset they have access to, but that they plan to reuse the existing vertical lineset going down 2 stories inside the wall (after cleaning it out). He explained that if I wanted a new vertical lineset, they could do it going down the outside of the house.

Question: Is it okay to reuse the (inaccessible) vertical portion of the lineset, or should I get a completely new one from end to end for the r-410?

Appreciatively,
    Pittsburrito

I would use 100% of the old line set if it was the correct size and not damaged. Simply loop the liquid and suction line together and feed two cans of flush through the liquid line followed by nitrogen. You do not want couplings all over the place if you can help it IMHO.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    I would use 100% of the old line set if it was the correct size and not damaged. Simply loop the liquid and suction line together and feed two cans of flush through the liquid line followed by nitrogen. You do not want couplings all over the place if you can help it IMHO.
    I agree. As long as they flush it correctly.

Are the linesets for the different coolants the same size? I had heard they were different sizes under ideal circumstances (total lineset replacement), to withstand different pressure. Did I understand that wrong?

I would replace the line set.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburrito View Post
    Are the linesets for the different coolants the same size? I had heard they were different sizes under ideal circumstances (total lineset replacement), to withstand different pressure. Did I understand that wrong?
    The line sets are all the same copper tubing for every refrigerant. The size depends on the unit.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

NATEanator

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.