why go with a 2 stage with a dual fuel set-up? wouldnt that essentially make it a 3 stage?

Yea, though in most cases the pump would work alone in mild weather and the backup would be 2 stage but probably timed, defeating some of the comfort benefits of 2 stage gas heat. My house can use all 3 stages with a 3 stage stat. Most dealers seem to like the Vision Pro and it can't handle staged backup.

BaldLoonie,

What brand/type thermostat (any brand) would you recommend for "3 stage" heat?

(single stage XL14i heat pump, 2 stage xv80 gas furnace).

My opinion on miandsh2000's question:

If you get a single stage furnace with a single stage heat pump it would be a jeckyll and hyde personality. With the heat pump you'd get lukewarm air (normal for heat pump), then you'd get a blast of heat (like most furnace only homeowners) with the furnace.

The 2 stage furnace offers a more even transition from heat pump to gas stage 1. For example, my heat pump maximum heat output is 25,000 (can't recall exact number). The low mode of the furnace is 31,000. High stage furnace output is 48,000.

I have a two stage 90+ with a heat pump. I wouldnt waste my time installing a 3 stage stat unless I had some wacky set back, like it was a vacation home or something that I only went to on weekends.

I hate having the timer stage a furnace which is why I didn't install the VP I won.

The W-R 1F95-391 will do dual fuel and properly stage the gas backup. I can do all 3 stages since it will bring on backup unlike the Vision Pro. When too cold for the pump, the gas furnace will be staged like any 2 stage stat. That means you can have the long run periods on low that the timer won't allow.

miandsh2000

Unfortunately, for most of the HVAC brands on the market, you have to purchase a 2 stg furnace to get the var speed blower feature. In some cases you will not use or rarely use the high stg of your furnace which really is a waste. These HVAC manufacturers really have this part down pat.I suppose there is not a market for var speed with a single stg heating output or is there? Of course you can use a var speed air handler on a single stg HP/AC. Why not have a single stg var speed furnace. Just a thought.

My opinion.

BaldLoonie wrote:
    > W-R 1F95-391 will do dual fuel and properly stage the gas backup.

what? you've given up on the climatouch?

The Climatouch doesn't have the same dual fuel capabilties as the VP and W-R. I have a simple relay in the furnace that I've always used plus a switch to lockout backup in mild weather. And I have to go manually to emergency heat when it gets too cold for the pump. Fine with me but most people would prefer everything be automatic.

Long run times (stage 1) gives very smooth heat. The furnace installers forgot the jumper wire. For the VP that I have, it only has 2 stages.

For the W-R 1F95-391, does it have adaptive recovery?

For me, the heat pump would be the most economical recovery. However, a 3 stage t-stat would be nice if I was gone for a few days (57 degree heat setting) and wanted a "3rd stage" (gas stage 2 high heat). Or, in the bitter cold (-11), it wouldn't require me to install the jumper wire.

I don't want to put the jumper in (until I'm desperate), because 10 minutes and then switch to high gas heat is rediculous.

I am very interested in this thread because I am strongly considering purchasing a "3-stage" system with heat pump and 2 stage gas. Several contractors have recommended the VP for such a system, however, it sounds like this won't work well or at all with a configuration such as this. Can I get a more detailed/layman's explanation, including more information on the following:

"VP can't handle staged backup"
    "Timer staged furnace"
    "Adaptive recovery"
    "Jumper installation" (and reason therefor)

Thanks so much for your feedback.