Hi, i did a load calculation on my house and one of the dependant factors was the temperature outside. As that temperature goes up i noticed that the tonnage would go up by 1/2 ton. Now my question is how do u get the best of both worlds. I understand that u dont want too big but how do u compensate for those hot hot days; or do u not just worry aobut them

thanks

You enter the summer design temp for your area, that's what to go by

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by psychometric
    You enter the summer design temp for your area, that's what to go by
    That's what to do.Plus there is a saftey factor built into the calculation,so it will do better then you might think above the design temperature.

Another factor is say you need 26,000 btus total,and you select a 2.5 ton that's 28,500 btus total,you have even more extra capacity.Just and example ,as total btus is not the correct way to select equipment,Manual s is.

If your indoor design is less then 78 to 80°,it's important to adjust capacity ,for those wanting 72 to 76° indoors.

your choice --
    design for hottest ever recorded;
    design for 99% of time;
    design for 97% of time;
    or less -- if you are willing to let temp drift upwards, like me -- today my kit @82, 96F outdoor -- but, 5000btu/h for 2133sf - [3 bdrm closed off in trilevel]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Originally posted by buzz427
    Hi, i did a load calculation on my house and one of the dependant factors was the temperature outside. As that temperature goes up i noticed that the tonnage would go up by 1/2 ton. Now my question is how do u get the best of both worlds. I understand that u dont want too big but how do u compensate for those hot hot days; or do u not just worry aobut them

thanks
    When it is a real heat wave out, just go outside for 10 minutes and make sure the condenser air is blowing hot. Then go back inside and realize it is pretty cool inside afterall and be thankful you have central air.