Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    77

    30hxc076rz630ka motor cooling problem

    Have both circuits with solenoids for motor cooling staying opened, logged alarms, low superheat, econimizer transducer failure, condenser freeze protection, liquid level sensor failure all with in 2 minutes. When restart the chiller it will run but motor cooling solenoids stay energized on both compressors. Was told it was a board my anothar mechanical company but would like to be able verify which board and learn something in the process.

    I am very green on screw chillers, please take into consideration I have to start somewhere.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    64
    Verify that ALL inputs are working correctly and reading correct pressures and temperatures. If all inputs and outputs are functional except that motor cooling solenoids stay open, remove control power completely from the machine to insure all modules are powered off for a few minutes. Restore power and try again, if it continues then you either have a CPM board malfunctioning (controls compressor functions of both compressors); or you have an MBB board problem. Be sure to verify voltages to boards and to solenoids, as being within proper ranges. The multiple alarm stack ups are indicating to me a loss of comm from MBB to other modules via the LEN comm bus wiring. Sometimes that is a module flaking out intermittingly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    77
    Thanks I will start with that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by BatesTech View Post
    Have both circuits with solenoids for motor cooling staying opened, logged alarms, low superheat, econimizer transducer failure, condenser freeze protection, liquid level sensor failure all with in 2 minutes. When restart the chiller it will run but motor cooling solenoids stay energized on both compressors. Was told it was a board my anothar mechanical company but would like to be able verify which board and learn something in the process.

    I am very green on screw chillers, please take into consideration I have to start somewhere.
    Are the compressors sweating really bad?
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Are the compressors sweating really bad?
    Yes sir.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by BatesTech View Post
    Yes sir.
    Haha go and change the motor cooling set point back to 200 degrees.
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Haha go and change the motor cooling set point back to 200 degrees.
    Any thoughts on why they would of changed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by BatesTech View Post
    Any thoughts on why they would of changed.
    Ignorance. The motor is meant to be run hot . I think it freaks people out and they try to cool it down. I found one set for 0 one time.
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Not in Iran
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Ignorance. The motor is meant to be run hot . I think it freaks people out and they try to cool it down. I found one set for 0 one time.

    Who's da man , u da man
    Nice,.


    Motor cooling is for cooling the motor. Wow 0 one time huh, lol, 200 sounds a lot better ,
    The solenoid being energized at all times , I can see the compressor sweating, but what's up it the condenser freeze
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkwal1 View Post
    Who's da man , u da man
    Nice,.


    Motor cooling is for cooling the motor. Wow 0 one time huh, lol, 200 sounds a lot better ,
    The solenoid being energized at all times , I can see the compressor sweating, but what's up it the condenser freeze
    Hard to say until you fix at least one issue at a time. At least his low discharge superheat alarm will go away.
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Georgia
    Posts
    64
    Dallas Buster, are you saying the solenoids will stay open continuosly when motor cooling setpoint is set way too low? I've never seen them hang open continous, usually they pulse. So if the setpoint is way low then liquid feeds and drops discharge. I have seen liquid carryover out of the economizers and drop discharge temp. Thanks for the word on low setpoint.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    77
    Can i get 101, my understanding is the PSIO II retrieves all transducer and thermistor data and gives it to the PSIO I which controls the 6 pack relay boards where the solenod opens and closes its circuit for the motor cooling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas ,Texas
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSPIERCE View Post
    Dallas Buster, are you saying the solenoids will stay open continuosly when motor cooling setpoint is set way too low? I've never seen them hang open continous, usually they pulse. So if the setpoint is way low then liquid feeds and drops discharge. I have seen liquid carryover out of the economizers and drop discharge temp. Thanks for the word on low setpoint.
    He has a series 3 machine so you can jack that point down . The newer ones have a low limit .
    UA 100

    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event