Installing heat pump as conventional ac

Taking your advice from my previous post, I am leaning towards not installing a heat pump as a heat pump in my Cleveland area home.

What my installer would like to do is install the older model American Standard heritage 14 heat pump as a conventional ac unit, so the heat pump capabilities cannot be used. Why? Well, he has a bunch, and we can get it from him for less than the American standard Allegiance 13 ac unit.

According to him it is no big deal. He will hook it up and it will function just like an ac unit. Will it really? Again, I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckky_lassy View Post
    According to him it is no big deal. He will hook it up and it will function just like an ac unit...
    He is correct, if he has half a clue, he can do this with no issues, go for it!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

It's no different than having a street wide enough for cars to travel in both directions but by law, limiting travel to only on direction. Same thing for the HP used for cooling only. I would assume it's faulted to heat so he'll need to power the 4-way valve continuously. If it ever goes into heating mode, you'll know the power source tot he 4-way valve is interrupted or the 4-way valve coil is fried. Otherwise, you'll never know it's a HP.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Still think it is dumb not to wire as a heat pump. If you don't like it, you don't have to heat with it. Haven't had a homeowner complain yet about their dual fuel system.

The only reason I wouldn't want the heat pump in there is there are just more components to fail. And most of those components are designed to fail to heating. That said, having dual fuel capability couldn't hurt, just would require the proper stat to properly utilize it.

I agree, why not install it as it was intended? The only difference is the control wiring. I have tons of duel fuel systems out there with nothing but happy customers.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Still think it is dumb not to wire as a heat pump. If you don't like it, you don't have to heat with it. Haven't had a homeowner complain yet about their dual fuel system.
    Agreed!

Thanks folks. We have two more estimates coming in tomorrow, but we are leaning heavily to this contractor and this unit. If we go with him, I think we will have it installed as it should be with the appropriate thermostat. From there, we can decide if we want to ever use it for heating. Again, thank you for your time and advice.