Confused MIN/MAX read OL on 2 meters

I have a UEI DL389 and a Fieldpiece HS36 and both these meters will read OL when trying to read inrush/start up amps.

Are these incapable of this reading?

I am doing this on resi split systems of 5 tons or less.

http://www.ueitest.com/sites/default...TA%20SHEET.pdf

http://www.fieldpiece.com/stick-meters/hs36

http://www.fieldpiece.com/accessory-heads/ach4
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

The UEI 389 is not capable of reading inrush. I have the same meter and the same problem. Don't know about the fieldpiece though.

The HS36 dont have an in rush feature either. Not sure if the UEI has a manual function and set to min max setting, that may work for ya.

I would have sworn that I was told they both did inrush, but that goes to show what I know and what the counter guys know.

Thanks

Fieldpiece SC56 is their only meter to do this, listed as inrush, that I find.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

With the UEi you can change the range and get a better read on a motor like that. Not sure how it compares to the meters with a real inrush feature but you wont OL
    The HS36 Full Auto?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

With the internet you can read all about something before purchasing. Read the specs, the user manual......everything.....

Next time do some research before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I have a UEI DL389 and a Fieldpiece HS36 and both these meters will read OL when trying to read inrush/start up amps.

Are these incapable of this reading?

I am doing this on resi split systems of 5 tons or less.
    I don't own a Fieldpiece, but I know that the UEI will do inrush for you. Here is your issue:

When you hit the Min/Max button on your UEI, it "locks" you into the range you are in when you hit that button. If you hit the Min/Max button when the display shows 00.00, the max current reading you will be able to capture will be 39.99, because the UEI has a 4000 count display. After that, the screen will show OL for readings over 40A. If you put the range at 000.0 (by using the range button on the unit), now you can read up to 399.9 Amps before you show overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan Blade View Post
    I don't own a Fieldpiece, but I know that the UEI will do inrush for you. Here is your issue:

When you hit the Min/Max button on your UEI, it "locks" you into the range you are in when you hit that button. If you hit the Min/Max button when the display shows 00.00, the max current reading you will be able to capture will be 39.99, because the UEI has a 4000 count display. After that, the screen will show OL for readings over 40A. If you put the range at 000.0 (by using the range button on the unit), now you can read up to 399.9 Amps before you show overload.
    That's great news! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Fan Blade View Post

Thanks, I will give that a try.

I thought that I was shown something like this, but then again maybe not.