Lightbulb 2 ton, 1998 Unit, slow leak, non repairable. Suggestions

So, I finally had the problem diagnosed by a reputable Service Tech, and he detected a leak. The symptoms of my machine didn't fit the bill for a leak but there most certainly is one. The company doesn't fix leaks and gave an estimate for:

A new condenser unit
    A refrigerant refill
    a new inside and roof unit

Also, guy says I should get everything brand new. The roof unit is in OK shape; but that doesn't mean it will stand up tomorrow, next week, or next year.

I've read in here several posts where a 14~ year old unit should be working just fine. So, on the safe side I have another tech coming out to give it a whirl and estimate for work and such.

My question to you folks, if the other tech says the leak is unrepairable, or inadvisable, what should I look for in a new unit? Energy star, so on and so forth...

Any advice would be appreciated.
    NOT A DIY THREAD
    NOT A DIY THREAD
    NOT A DIY THREAD

They don't fix leaks? What?

STUD

Where is the leak?
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Quote Originally Posted by therewillbeaway View Post
    So, I finally had the problem diagnosed by a reputable Service Tech, and he detected a leak. The symptoms of my machine didn't fit the bill for a leak but there most certainly is one. The company doesn't fix leaks and gave an estimate for:

A new condenser unit
    A refrigerant refill
    a new inside and roof unit

Also, guy says I should get everything brand new. The roof unit is in OK shape; but that doesn't mean it will stand up tomorrow, next week, or next year.

I've read in here several posts where a 14~ year old unit should be working just fine. So, on the safe side I have another tech coming out to give it a whirl and estimate for work and such.

My question to you folks, if the other tech says the leak is unrepairable, or inadvisable, what should I look for in a new unit? Energy star, so on and so forth...

Any advice would be appreciated.
    NOT A DIY THREAD
    NOT A DIY THREAD
    NOT A DIY THREAD

Find a new company.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Find a new company.
    How can you make that statement and not know where the leak is?

Went to a call the other night- showed the customer where the leak is at the tube going thru the sheetmetal in the outdoor coil-I am not going to waste their money attempting to fix thhis 15 year old heatpump.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    How can you make that statement and not know where the leak is?

Went to a call the other night- showed the customer where the leak is at the tube going thru the sheetmetal in the outdoor coil-I am not going to waste their money attempting to fix thhis 15 year old heatpump.
    In his post, he stated that "The company doesn't fix leaks"

If this is true, then he needs a new company.

If they don't fix leaks when it isn't practical or economical for the customer, then it's a different scenario for sure.

What part is leaking

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    In his post, he stated that "The company doesn't fix leaks"

If this is true, then he needs a new company.

If they don't fix leaks when it isn't practical or economical for the customer, then it's a different scenario for sure.
    yeah, this is the reason why I quit referring my customers to this website to find out the truth about things........there are too many guys taking a minimal amout of info and making rationalizations about finding a new guy when they haven't been there to see what's there!
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    yeah, this is the reason why I quit referring my customers to this website to find out the truth about things........there are too many guys taking a minimal amout of info and making rationalizations about finding a new guy when they haven't been there to see what's there!
    So you don't attempt to find and fix leaks? I agree with JPS' statement. If you had a leaky heart valve, would you want your cadioligist to do a heart transplant instead of just fixing the lesser problem? I'd look for a second opinion if that were the case.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    So you don't attempt to find and fix leaks? I agree with JPS' statement. If you had a leaky heart valve, would you want your cadioligist to do a heart transplant instead of just fixing the lesser problem? I'd look for a second opinion if that were the case.
    Yep, used to try to fix leaks in resi units.....fix one and a few months later there is a new leak somewhere else....resi stuff is not the same as commercial where you can cut the fins away fix it and you are good for years.....

My point is you are hearing the diagnosis from someone who has no clue....like the customer I went to the other night....leak was at the place where the copper passes thru the sheetmetal-I am NOT going to ATTEMPT to fix that...Why? because If it starts leaking there....3 months down the road its going to start leaking somewhere else. The only resi units I have fixed and the fixes were permanent were rub threws....

I will let you know when I need medical advice. Just buried my mother a week ago, should have sent a PM to you.

.leak was at the place where the copper passes thru the sheetmetal-I am NOT going to ATTEMPT to fix that...
    Yep, not worth it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?