Thread: Blower Motor Stays On - Confirm My Logic

Post Likes

Blower Motor Stays On - Confirm My Logic

I think my blower motor fan relay is stuck in the on position. My thermostat easily disconnects from it's mounting bracking severing all connections. So, I pulled it as a means (my logic) if de-energizing the relay.

Should this have turned the fan motor off. It did not. Am I correct to believe the blower motor fan relay is stuck on?

Read on, if necessary; but, the above is my question.

Confession : This issue came about after I replaced the PSC motor (wouldn't reliable restart after replacing the run capacitor) with an Emerson 5532ET. I thought (wrongly) the "wire-for-wire" replacement marketing statement held true with the colors between old PSC and new ECM - it did not. So, I ended up smoking the 5532ET in a moment of brilliance with a bang. Well, a POP, really.

I over nighted another 5532ET and called an HVAC company who chose to help over the phone. After some Q&A, I connected the white & black and the replacement 5532ET runs and runs and runs and runs...

I suspect the relay arked & welded closed when things went wrong.

-------
    Some additional details, if needed.
    3 Ton Goodman CE36-1GB
    Emerson 5532ET motor
    Relay B1370738 (Not confirmed, visual/google picture comparison only)
    Tapping the relay after shutting off the breakers did not produce any change after turning the breakers back on.

Post Likes
    Depends on how the AH is set up. Some fans will continue to run for a while even if you turn the fan off or dismount the stat but that is usually only for a very short time ( minute or two). If you can not turn the fan off at all by the switch or dismounting the stat your relay is either stuck or your low voltage is somehow connected to your call wire for the fan feeding constant control voltage to the relay.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    You could have caused a problem in the control when you let the smoke out of the first motor, or you may not have it wired correctly. Either way call a pro and have them come out and fix it before it costs more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    You could have caused a problem in the control when you let the smoke out of the first motor, or you may not have it wired correctly. Either way call a pro and have them come out and fix it before it costs more.

Or you could look on the interweb for a DIY site where people can guess at the answer.

Post Likes
    Either you
    -messed up the control board
    -mis-wired the low voltage
    -mis-wired the line voltage

Without the proper testing equipment and the know-how it is too difficult to explain and this isn't the forum for it.

Call a pro.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Post Likes
    If you wired that 5532ET wrong, you will have a continuous run.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I appreciate everyone's time.

As I stated, I have called some "pros" and they walked me through connecting the wires properly with the 2nd motor - it does run. I did not suspect the relay was bad until the house had cooled and the motor was still running contrary to the thermostat's settings.

Per this site's numerous statements that this is not a DIY site, I was not soliciting proffers of "How To", DIY information, or that I should call an HVAC pro. I did the latter after being a quick study. What I was soliciting was confirmation from knowledgable professionals that my supposition "could be" correct. Not that it was or was not the only possible explaination.

RCB2875 - A germane reply; so, many thanks. Since my opening post, I have found the Goodman Service manual online and used my multimeter to confirm that the "blower time delay relay" (BTDR) is stuck in the on position. I have also visited to a local HVAC servicing company and ordered the proper Goodman part.

KLS-CCC - Thanks for your reply. Being the "end user", I'll assume by 'control' you're refering to the electronic thermostat. I did confirm its functionality prior to posting. If the thermostat is not the control to which you were referring, the AH's schematic does not show anything that 'I' would consider to be a 'control' - short of the heater & blower relays. As for not wiring correctly, I literally pulled/affixed 2 wires to swap out the PSC for the ECM. And I did so with an HVAC pro on the phone for guidance & confirmation.

KDean1 - not sure which part of KLS-CCS's post you were 'ditto'ing. So, not very useful except to raise your post number count.

Smoke - I am surprised you left out of your list of causes that the Blower Time Delay Relay could be stuck in the on position. I would have seen that as confirmation to my supposition and what I was after in my post. But wait, that wouldn't have pointed the finger at me. (Well, technically, one could argue it would have since "I did" cause the relay to stick in the on position. But, I confessed my sins and I am forgiven! )

CourtTech - A fellow 'n00B' here! You now have 4 posts! How many are useful?

Mr. Bill - I'm truly interested in your reply; but, you left me hanging. Please, elaborate.

The 5532ET has:
    Green - Grounded
    White - to common on circuit breaker (Removed PSC's purple lead from here when removed.)
    Black (HI) - to Blower Time Delay Relay terminal #1 (Removed PSC's black lead from here when removed.)
    Blue (M-HI) - unused & taped
    Pink (M) - unused & taped
    Yellow (M-Lo) - unused & taped
    Red (Lo) - unused & taped

I don't see how I could have miss-wired. Especially with an HVAC's guidance; but, if you think so, I will entertain your thoughts with enthusiasm.

Post Likes
    courttech

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Your post has been deleted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TronOfBorg View Post
    Mr. Bill - I'm truly interested in your reply; but, you left me hanging. Please, elaborate.

The 5532ET has:
    Green - Grounded
    White - to common on circuit breaker (Removed PSC's purple lead from here when removed.)
    Black (HI) - to Blower Time Delay Relay terminal #1 (Removed PSC's black lead from here when removed.)
    Blue (M-HI) - unused & taped
    Pink (M) - unused & taped
    Yellow (M-Lo) - unused & taped
    Red (Lo) - unused & taped
    I can't get into any detail, but if you did not use this above, disregard my post.
    What is the name and model furnace?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Ah...Yes, I "DO" plan to use that red 'Lo' wire and I've saved the included "Y" cable should I need it in the "future" as that red wire was the function that made me investigate the economies of ECM motors. (Household has allergies.)

But, I'm methodic so I am not one to add complexity to a system until exiting problems are resolved. I guess I could have been more informative in my initial post.

Once the replacement relay is in, I'll have the system tuned/checked/etc and I'll commission the tech to enable that 'red wire' function on my thermostat's Auto/On switch.

Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Bill.
    Last edited by TronOfBorg; 06-02-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo

Post Likes
    pfeifer, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes

Smoke - I am surprised you left out of your list of causes that the Blower Time Delay Relay could be stuck in the on position. I would have seen that as confirmation to my supposition and what I was after in my post. But wait, that wouldn't have pointed the finger at me. (Well, technically, one could argue it would have since "I did" cause the relay to stick in the on position. But, I confessed my sins and I am forgiven! )
    "-messed up the control board"

Is the "Blower Timer Delay Relay" located on the control board?
    I do believe this would be part of the control circuit.

It is very difficult for the Pro's to post in this forum without stepping over the boundaries of DIY. From everything you have mentioned in this thread you are fixing it yourself.

Best of luck.

~smoke~
    "That motor's done, he let the factory smoke charge out!"

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill - There is no control boardin terms of a fabricated printed circuit board aside from the thermostat. Everything - relays, transformer, terminal block, etc - are individually mounted to the various surfaces of the AH - much like prototyping an electronic circuit using a breadboard & wires.

I recognize and respect the difficulty in response. For now, I have a course of action in play that should remedy my issue late Monday. I'll update then.

Post Likes
    For now, I have a course of action in play that should remedy my issue late Monday. I'll update then.
    The Blower Time Delay Relay replacement corrected my issue of the blower staying on.

Thanks for the replys.

For indexing/search purposes, items Involved:
    AH: 3 Ton Goodman CE36-1GB
    Motor: Emerson 5532ET (White & Black wires connected, all others taped)
    Relay: B1370738

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in