Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    I have a set of DeWalt bits that are titanium and they are terrible. I asked a friend about sharpening them and he said you really can't sharpen them. He explained that the bit is really just a steel bit with a thin coating of titanium. Sharpening them ruins this coating. They will still work, but only as good as an old steel bit. So, is a cobalt bit worth the extra cost? My friend says he thinks between replacing titaniums and sharpening cobalts that you will break even, cost-wise. Should I invest in cobalt, or just get more titaniums and be more careful when cutting metal with them?

Obviously, you aren't using them properly. I've drilled through stainless many times with these bits and they're still as sharp as the day I bought them.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

I wasn't very careful with them a few times while drilling steel (no stainless), but I still think they didn't last very long. I think they were less than $20.

Thank you, gentleman...I will invest in a set of cobalt bits. It was one of those deals where the restaurant installer didn't want to deal with it, so he subcontracted it out to us (me...the new guy)...what I was told was "We don't normally deal with this stuff but since we are slow (63 degrees in ND) we took it." I have a feeling there is a lot of stuff we deal with that we don't normally deal with.

I read on another forum where a guy took a punch and a grinder and made his round punch into a 4 sided square punch. Every few minutes he would put the punch in the hole and hammer it and he swears it works. Anyone heard of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    What you need are drill bits, a low speed drill that will turn around 200-300 RPM, constant even pressure,

If you apply too much or not enough pressure, or too much speed, you will burn the bits and you will harden the material, making it even harder to drill.
    And experience.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

snap on drill bits for metal.they are expensive but you will never buy another set again . they get dull snap on guy gives you new one they break new one.i bought mine 7 years ago still not dull yet. i have broke a couple small ones but they were replaced free.i think they were around 200 dollars then.

Cobalt bits, two second high pressure drill times with two second pause. Loger drill pulses brings the chromium in the stainless to he surface and burns the bit in two or three cycles. cutting oil helps with keeping the bit cool, but two second drill cycles are the key. I've been drilling SS for 25 years or more. There are no short cuts.

I have never had a problem using a regualr metal bit and spray 409 household cleaner on it.Works like a charm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12