Advice on what thermostat to go with.

Ok, first a little history. Have a Lennox XC21 with a variable speed blower. Two zones. I attempted to use a NEST stat(I don't want this to turn into a debate on the NEST stat) on the upstairs zone. The stat worked beautifully during the winter months, but as soon as I needed A/C, the problems started. The stat went into a delay mode. Nest support attributed it to lack of a C wire. So, they had a tech respond and hooked up a C wire. Still no joy. Nest is looking into the compatibility issue. So, while I would like to use the NEST for my own reason and it does not look like I can, what STAT would you recommend to be used on my upper zone. Thanks!
    PS: I would prefer this does not turn into a NEST debate, but would be more then happy to discuss the issues I am experiencing. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
    Ok, first a little history. Have a Lennox XC21 with a variable speed blower. Two zones. I attempted to use a NEST stat(I don't want this to turn into a debate on the NEST stat) on the upstairs zone. The stat worked beautifully during the winter months, but as soon as I needed A/C, the problems started. The stat went into a delay mode. Nest support attributed it to lack of a C wire. So, they had a tech respond and hooked up a C wire. Still no joy. Nest is looking into the compatibility issue. So, while I would like to use the NEST for my own reason and it does not look like I can, what STAT would you recommend to be used on my upper zone. Thanks!
    PS: I would prefer this does not turn into a NEST debate, but would be more then happy to discuss the issues I am experiencing. Thanks again!
    I would suggest you using whatever your contractor who installed this system suggests.

White rogers, honeywell most likely.

Anything you can buy at the store, is cheap junk pawned off on a homeowner, even if it's made by a high end manufacturer. Honeywell stats for example.

The reason your contractor needs to get involved, is because he knows the system, and what model thermostat you need.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Heatseeker, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The honeywell iaq would be my choice with the ds hooked up for dehumidification on demand

I would go to the Lennox I comfort thermostat if compatible with your system.
    The i comfort also has a wifi model due in any day.

If you want internet control go with the honeywell Red Link multi stage thermostats.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Nest "C" wire question and advice.

Please, I do not want this to be a NEST bashing type thread, I'm looking for constructive input. I have a NEST stat that was installed in the winter months, worked and performed just as I wanted. Well, the heat hit and we went to A/C mode. FYI, I have the LENNOX Harmony III zoning system. Well, the stat went into a DELAY mode and then went on. Then went back into a DELAY mode. I called NEST support, he talked me through some steps and decided that the NEST did not have enough power to sustain the A/C, NO C WIRE. So, he arranged to have a tech come out and hook up a C wire. Tech comes out and hooks up wire, he tests it out, all good. GOES to hook up stat and it DOA. NEST overnights a new one. I install it and no joy, does not go on. So, I call customer support and he has me do a few things including removing the new "C" wire and now it fires up. Now this situation won't work based on the previously explained reason. So, NEST asked me a few questions about my system, ie: make/model. Also, I tested out the volts with my handy meter. 26 volts from the "C" wire to RH. ZERO from the "C" wire to RC.So, my question to everyone out there, thoughts? Advice? THANKS!
    PS: If this post violates the TOS of this forum, please delete or modify as appropriate.
    THANKS!!!!

Merged threads.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
    Please, I do not want this to be a NEST bashing type thread, I'm looking for constructive input. I have a NEST stat that was installed in the winter months, worked and performed just as I wanted. Well, the heat hit and we went to A/C mode. FYI, I have the LENNOX Harmony III zoning system. Well, the stat went into a DELAY mode and then went on. Then went back into a DELAY mode. I called NEST support, he talked me through some steps and decided that the NEST did not have enough power to sustain the A/C, NO C WIRE. So, he arranged to have a tech come out and hook up a C wire. Tech comes out and hooks up wire, he tests it out, all good. GOES to hook up stat and it DOA. NEST overnights a new one. I install it and no joy, does not go on. So, I call customer support and he has me do a few things including removing the new "C" wire and now it fires up. Now this situation won't work based on the previously explained reason. So, NEST asked me a few questions about my system, ie: make/model. Also, I tested out the volts with my handy meter. 26 volts from the "C" wire to RH. ZERO from the "C" wire to RC.So, my question to everyone out there, thoughts? Advice? THANKS!
    PS: If this post violates the TOS of this forum, please delete or modify as appropriate.
    THANKS!!!!
    Get a different thermostat.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted