+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refrigeration is not my thing, now I need help with a project

Post Likes
    I went to buy a install trailer from another HVAC guy and this followed me home. Anyone restore one of these? I've always thought these looked cool.
    "
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    This is the top taken off the control. Looks like a combo thermostat/contactor to me. When I plugged it in the white ceramic spool w/windings around it glowed red hot.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    Cool Beans!!

That is a GE monitor top. In the olden days they came in 2 parts. The whole top comes off of the cabinet. The refrigerant is sodium dioxide (SO2)

The control you pictured is a starting relay. It is called a "hot wire" relay. When the wire gets hot it expands and drops out the start winding.

Does the compressor start?

Post Likes
    Benn to tell you the truth I dont know yet if the compressor starts. Being an AC guy normally when I throw power to something and get hot glowing windings Frank pulls the plug on it.

Yup the whole top comes off and it weighs a lot more than the bottom. Actually the cabinet is in good condition w/the exception that someone threw on a coat of white paint.

Sodium dioxide? Dont think I have a tank of that on hand.
    Gee Benn got any other good tid bits of info?

Post Likes
    Isn't SO2 sulfur dioxide?

Post Likes
    Go to Google and type in Monitor Top refrigerator. They are worth a few thousand dollars if in decent condition

Post Likes
    Originally posted by star882
    That correct. Beeny has a great recollection of old fridges, but less so of chemistry.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by benncool
    Cool Beans!!

That is a GE monitor top. In the olden days they came in 2 parts. The whole top comes off of the cabinet. The refrigerant is sodium dioxide (SO2)

The control you pictured is a starting relay. It is called a "hot wire" relay. When the wire gets hot it expands and drops out the start winding.

Only a very old guy would know this.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Don't sniff that stuff. You'll think you just smelled the worlds worst burnout.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I was thinking that it was methal cloride but I have been wrong before. Didn't they make similar units with methal as a refrigerant?
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by frank shelley
    I went to buy a install trailer from another HVAC guy and this followed me home. Anyone restore one of these? I've always thought these looked cool.
    "
    I bet that came out smokin68 trailers, be careful there is a meth lab in the basement.

Post Likes
    Cool Beans!!

Does the compressor start?
    it's "cool beings" old timer, not beans.

Post Likes
    Was at a place called Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska with my father in law. We saw one of those there and he said they were very reliable refrigerators.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by star882
    You are correct. My mistake. My doctor has me on a salt free diet so I have sodium on the brain. .

I think methal cloride was before SO2. We have an old Frigidaire in the shop that had methal cloride in it. That stuff is nasty. Even worse than SO2

Post Likes
    I think methal cloride was before SO2. We have an old Frigidaire in the shop that had methal cloride in it. That stuff is nasty. Even worse than SO2
    Methyl Chloride has a sort of sweet odor. I remember the old 8 hole ice cream cabinet we had in the cellar that ran on methyl. We also had a Frigidaire 2-door cooler that had SO2. The SO2 was a much nastier smell......like rotten eggs mixed in sulphuric acid.

The biggest difference was that methyl chloride is highly flammable. Nice stuff to have around open drive motors and those hot wire relays!

SO2 preceded Methyl as a refrigerant by only a couple of years, 1875 vs. 1878. Both were pretty common up through the forties and into the fifties.

Willis carrier used methyl chloride in his first centrifugal in 1926, the same year Thomas Midgley came up with R12.

Interestingly, CO2 was one of the first, being introduced as a refrigerant in 1866. Now 140 years later it's seeing a comeback.

Reference:Refrigerant History

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in