Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I went to buy a install trailer from another HVAC guy and this followed me home. Anyone restore one of these? I've always thought these looked cool.
    "
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

This is the top taken off the control. Looks like a combo thermostat/contactor to me. When I plugged it in the white ceramic spool w/windings around it glowed red hot.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Cool Beans!!

That is a GE monitor top. In the olden days they came in 2 parts. The whole top comes off of the cabinet. The refrigerant is sodium dioxide (SO2)

The control you pictured is a starting relay. It is called a "hot wire" relay. When the wire gets hot it expands and drops out the start winding.

Does the compressor start?

Benn to tell you the truth I dont know yet if the compressor starts. Being an AC guy normally when I throw power to something and get hot glowing windings Frank pulls the plug on it.

Yup the whole top comes off and it weighs a lot more than the bottom. Actually the cabinet is in good condition w/the exception that someone threw on a coat of white paint.

Sodium dioxide? Dont think I have a tank of that on hand.
    Gee Benn got any other good tid bits of info?

Isn't SO2 sulfur dioxide?

Go to Google and type in Monitor Top refrigerator. They are worth a few thousand dollars if in decent condition

Originally posted by star882
    Isn't SO2 sulfur dioxide?
    That correct. Beeny has a great recollection of old fridges, but less so of chemistry.

Originally posted by benncool
    Cool Beans!!

That is a GE monitor top. In the olden days they came in 2 parts. The whole top comes off of the cabinet. The refrigerant is sodium dioxide (SO2)

The control you pictured is a starting relay. It is called a "hot wire" relay. When the wire gets hot it expands and drops out the start winding.

Only a very old guy would know this.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Don't sniff that stuff. You'll think you just smelled the worlds worst burnout.
    Tracers work both ways.

I was thinking that it was methal cloride but I have been wrong before. Didn't they make similar units with methal as a refrigerant?
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Originally posted by frank shelley
    I went to buy a install trailer from another HVAC guy and this followed me home. Anyone restore one of these? I've always thought these looked cool.
    "
    I bet that came out smokin68 trailers, be careful there is a meth lab in the basement.

Originally posted by benncool
    Cool Beans!!

Does the compressor start?
    it's "cool beings" old timer, not beans.

Was at a place called Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska with my father in law. We saw one of those there and he said they were very reliable refrigerators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast