Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 289

You need it calibrated for government work!

I have a 289 and love it but don't have the chance to use it that much anymore. I never have used all the features but like the ones I use. I was a little disappointed in the logger part, with as fast a capture rate it has on min/max, the logger is one second. I understand why, it has a limited memory, like all loggers, so if it had the same capture rate as the min/max setting it would be full in just a few hours.

I do most of my tests with a 902 I carry in the tool box, but when the 902 won't do the 289 comes out.

I didn't know the govenment required your meter be calibrated. That must be the feds. Is that for all types of equipment.

I've worked in federal and municipal courts, prisons, air force bases, coast guard bases, federal office buildings, and not once has anyone, GSA or otherwise, in any of those buildings even paid attention to my meters, aside from getting them through security.

For test & balancing work, some organizations such as NEBB do require your instruments to be calibrated annually, and for you to provide proof of such calibration. Independent commissioning agents can also ask whatever they like of you as part of their commissioning process. As far as the federal gov't goes, I don't buy it.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Is a yearly calibrated 289 going to read "that" much differently than one that was never calibrated??
    Most likely not and neither do Harbor Freight $3 DMMs for many measurements that are relevant for service technician level work.

Depending on the nature of use of the measurement value, you have no ground if someone challenges your reading and you don't have traceable calibration that show the instruments were in calibration at the time.

Ya I've done work in the evidence centers. And in some jails. Getting in is a pain but its when you loose a screwdriver that your in trouble. I wasn't allowed to leave once until i could account for a lost tool on a job in the jail. I found it though, wasn't in my tool bag or anywhere on site it was in my pocket. Geez I felt like such a dumb***

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    Most likely not and neither do Harbor Freight $3 DMMs for many measurements that are relevant for service technician level work.

Depending on the nature of use of the measurement value, you have no ground if someone challenges your reading and you don't have traceable calibration that show the instruments were in calibration at the time.
    I guess than that the goverment would accept the reading from a calibrated $3 Harbor Freight DMM?
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12